Snatch block for winch how large do i need

mendiplogs

Mendiplogs' date=' if you are using the snatch block only as a means of an offset pull, then a six tonne strop and a six tonne block will suit a six tonne winch.

If you wish to double the power of your winch by fastening the end of the cable back to the tractor and fastening the block to the timber, then you will need a twelve tonne block and strop.

But the winch will probably break doing that....[/quote']

HI MATE WHY will the winch break it a igland 6ton one so the job i see what you mine as off set i think will just the timber smaller but like you said 8ton is ok on off set line pull on single line thanks jon :thumbup:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is a question.

I have this type of snatch block:

4.5" 4 Ton Heavy Duty Lightweight SNATCH BLOCK Swivel SAFETY HOOK Lifting Pulley | eBay

It's WLL is 4000kg. It is solid and I trust it. But it is heavy for what it is.

Then I see these:

Bushranger Snatch Block - 7000kgs

Which is a 4x4 recovery style snatch block - also designed for wire rope.

It's WLL is 7000kg and it is much lighter!

But is it suitable for working in the woods?

Yes. I have a similar one never had any issues. Not as efficient as gated snatch block when using as an offset tho.

HI MATE WHY will the winch break it a igland 6ton one so the job i see what you mine as off set i think will just the timber smaller but like you said 8ton is ok on off set line pull on single line thanks jon :thumbup:

If you repaetedly try to winch 12 tonne with a 6 tonne winch, by doubling back to the winch, you are going to wear it out fairly quickly.

Like 3 dogs said before at post 28.

A great thread with many good points raised.:thumbup1:

I too have pretty much the same dilemma with the 13,000kg Hydraulic Superwinch fitted to my 8 tonne excavator.

I have tried will little success to source a suitable snatch block of over 26,000kg rating that is suitable for the 20mm wire rope fitted.

However in my own instance, the winch is simply large enough in a single line pull and I have a 15,000kg block if any direction changes are required.

The forces generated when doubling up a 13,000kg winch can get pretty scary, and would impart high loadings on the attachment point back at the machine.

However there may be instances where I may require a double line pull to reduce speed and increase power a little such as de-bogging and I would be pretty much in the same position? Do I simply use the 15,000kg block knowing I'll never get to 26,000kg anyway and the block has a good safety factor or risk flattening the rope on a larger block?

I simply keep away from such instance personally, but fully understand the dilemma?

My view always relates back to the inquest on safety? Putting yourself in the dock and imagining the highly paid Barrister asking the question 'what is the maximum line pull the winch could have imparted and was the equipment rated for this?'

In my own instance this would require a block of 26,000kg to answer Yes.

Interesting 'Common Sense' has come up a few times, but unfortunately due to the culture we now find ourselves working under this phrase has long been replaced by 'Method Statement, Risk Assessment'!

I'd say get the lightweight 7000kg job for your day to day along with a full at least 12 Tonne item to have with you at all times.

If you have the slightest doubt use the larger block when required.

Eddie.

Interesting 'Common Sense' has come up a few times, but unfortunately due to the culture we now find ourselves working under this phrase has long been replaced by 'Method Statement, Risk Assessment'!

I'd say get the lightweight 7000kg job for your day to day along with a full at least 12 Tonne item to have with you at all times.

If you have the slightest doubt use the larger block when required.

Eddie.

Good advice. :thumbup1: