legislation and law ?

Dnolan9

I know there might not be many people on here that will be able to answer this question but i will give it a crack anyway.:001_smile:

Are the legislation's and law on tree work the same in Ireland as they are in the UK ?

any replies would be appreciated:biggrin:

Thanks Darragh

thanks for the quick reply :)

yes im in the south of Ireland and i have never really heard of anything on it, I have looked up on the government legislation website things such as TPO's and PUWER and LOLER and RIDDOR and the search returned no results which had me inquisitive.

Maybe I will just have to look a little further into it over here when i finish college :D

I,m not sure about the law aspect specifically but I know most of the Southern colleges, ESB Coillte and a lot of the southern contractors use the NPTC city and guilds land based services CS unit assessments to satisfy the HSA requirements. I only know this because many of our assessors when we ran a NPTC assessment centre in the north assessed operatives working for the above organisations. The link below might be of interest.

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Agriculture_and_Forestry/Guide%20to%20safe%20working%20with%20timber%20and%20chainsaws.pdf

I know there might not be many people on here that will be able to answer this question but i will give it a crack anyway.:001_smile:

Are the legislation's and law on tree work the same in Ireland as they are in the UK ?

Thanks Darragh

On my prof dip mang day there was a chap from Dublin, he said he'd had a real nightmare revising as the laws in relation to tree preservation were different.

In some cases the laws were not relevant, I wonder if the common law rights in relation to pruning tree on neighbouring land etc are the same.

This is not something I was aware of and is only info told to me from said gentleman..

Edited by jaime bray

Thanks Darragh

Darragh, you could consider joining the AA and accessing the Irish Branch for specific information (see Ireland - IR Branch - - Arboricultural Association )

In my, very limited, experience, much of the H&S legislation is based on EU Directives which 'broadly' aligns with UK Regulations...kinda! (Obvioulsy this relates to ROI, NI is very similar to the UK.)

Regards..

Paul

thanks lads :)

I was talking to my dad and i think joining the AA would be most defiantly worth it as I am sure I can gain a lot of valuable information :001_smile:

I think its best off I do some research on it all and find out all the specifics in how the law differs in Ireland to the UK rather than come back from college and do some tree work and get myself in to trouble for doing something I thought is okay when its not :001_smile:

maybe the college can send me on the right track :001_tt2:

AA website help for arborist icon has a briefing note written by Peter Annett, who I believe advised government on the 2012tree regs. There is also a guide on the 5837 doc too written by the chair of the steering group Richard Nicholson.

Have a butchers on there. I think there was a thread in here highlighting this to arbtalkers but god knows where it is.