Co-Dominent stems on large Sycamore. Opinions please?

Rick2517

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be more concerned about the soil levels changing than the union as well. A reduction won't be great on a Sycamore.

I agree Phil, a reduction sounds like inviting Polyprus Squamosus or Kretz to me

The only thing in need of reduction is the soil level, those stems are quite upright, just keep an eye on the included bark in that compression joint.

Like Tony Sorensen said, its just a standard multi stemmed Sycamore

I agree Phil, a reduction sounds like inviting Polyprus Squamosus or Kretz to me

The only thing in need of reduction is the soil level, those stems are quite upright, just keep an eye on the included bark in that compression joint.

Like Tony Sorensen said, its just a standard multi stemmed Sycamore

Out of interest, how many multi stemmed sycamores go on to live substantial lives??

I understand you're reasons for not crown reducing but the customer wants a smaller tree!! My only interest was is something more was needed from a safety point of view and if so what? However going by her reaction to my advice to lower soil levels I think she will now continue to get quotes els where until she finds a contractor that isn't interested in giving her the right advice and will just tell her what she wants to hear.

Thanks anyway guys, on to the next one

I assume no ones concerned about the threat of Cryptostroma corticale ? Function loss / Function disruption caused by Abiotic or Biotic factors can be or mimic a drought, water uptake-function, disruption can result also from canopy reductions, or ground level changes. As well as climatic conditions being a trigger for the fungus ,pruning activities and the soil environment equally play important parts. Approximately 90% of all the apparently physically healthy looking Sycamore trees that I have worked on and felled over the years ,have been infected with the fungus. Wood staining, brown retained foliage in winter all provide indications of the fungus. It seems most only conclude findings when at the later stage bark falls off and the more apparent signs are visible. We need to be very careful with our Sycamores, they wont put up with much messing around, at ground level or in the aerial parts of the tree, its always years later when the real consequences of what you have done can be seen.

Before you do anything also consider Cryptostroma corticale, it can exist in a latent form for a long time symptoms can develop by stress, this can be from a variety of causes, one of which could be induced by excessive pruning, Sycamores never respond well from pruning.

never?mmm sounds a bit black and white to me:001_rolleyes:

if they are staying you have got to reduce them and get the soil level back to the original level - both already stated

I wouldnt say GOT to, sounds like over management to me.

I'd be more concerned about the soil levels changing than the union as well. A reduction won't be great on a Sycamore.

thats two in one thread stating reductions on sycamore are a no no:confused1:

this list of trees we cant prune is growing!:biggrin: