what bench saw would you recommend?

Paul in France

I'm thinking of going into the log supply business here. The way forward seems to be to buy in 2 meter logs to reduce to 1m and 0.5m. Some people use a chainsaw to do this but I'm wondering if some sort of bench saw may not be more suited to the job as we have buildings that could house that sort of equipment with the space for storage.

What do you think is the best way to cut it and if anyone is using a bench saw what should I be looking for and what sort of costs are involved?

Thanks in advance as usual.

If you go down to your local small agricultural dealership, the sort that services professionals and particulars, you will find often large circular saw benches for logs for sale.

Normally they are electric.

Here, bought in trunks delivered to us are cut into 50cm by chainsaw then we use a 16t pressure road tow splitter.

The saw bench is used for the much smaller thinnings.

But that's just what we do...

Ty

Don't waste your time, You've got to buy the cord, cut it, season it (it's usually green)

split it, advertise it, then deliver it. Then give half to the French govenment.

This is all a bit of a leap from a bloke who didn't want to use a chainsaw isn't it?

You cannot compete against farmers who have their own big gear plus their own woods and contacts and experience.

Think of something else. (IMO of course!)

Don't waste your time, You've got to buy the cord, cut it, season it (it's usually green)

split it, advertise it, then deliver it. Then give half to the French govenment.

This is all a bit of a leap from a bloke who didn't want to use a chainsaw isn't it?

You cannot compete against farmers who have their own big gear plus their own woods and contacts and experience.

Think of something else. (IMO of course!)

I know - I was "chain saw averse" ... but it's good to have ideas and ambition isn't it ... perhaps I've just had the wrong ideas and misplaced ambition ...that's one of the ways this site helps me ...keeps me on the right lines ... thanks for the advice :thumbup1:

And thanks everyone else for your input - appreciated.

I know - I was "chain saw averse" ... but it's good to have ideas and ambition isn't it ... perhaps I've just had the wrong ideas and misplaced ambition ...that's one of the ways this site helps me ...keeps me on the right lines ... thanks for the advice :thumbup1:

And thanks everyone else for your input - appreciated.

Paul, can't you just sit back and enjoy your retirement...?

No, I thought not!

You know, in the woods here you can cut your own thinnings (marked with paint so no mistaken) or process the crowns of felled trees for between 18-25 the stere.

Firewood is a purely cash type business here.

Register as a cotisant sociale with the M.S.A or Auto Entreprenure and just declare enough to keep under the radar.

Sell your firewood through the ex-pat word of mouth route and enjoy the whole experience.

You will be richer for it if not monetarily...hhh!

All the best

Ty

Its a good idea, I had the same one about 5 years ago. I bought in cord in 2 meter lengths, cut it, split it, stacked it, seasoned it, loaded it into my trailer, stacked it at the customers house. 100 steres later I tallied that after costs I had made about 5 euros per stere. So then I started getting it from the forest, a lot cheaper to buy, but the transport killed it. Transport is the big cost in this type of enterprise, and unless you can shift 10 steres at a time like the farmers do then the profit will be tiny. Also the amount of times you handle the wood stacks up unless you have handling machinery.

Look at the cost price of the cord, add your fuel to cut, split and deliver, plus how long it will take you per stere, and compare that figure with the going rate per stere in your area.

Its a good idea, I had the same one about 5 years ago. I bought in cord in 2 meter lengths, cut it, split it, stacked it, seasoned it, loaded it into my trailer, stacked it at the customers house. 100 steres later I tallied that after costs I had made about 5 euros per stere. So then I started getting it from the forest, a lot cheaper to buy, but the transport killed it. Transport is the big cost in this type of enterprise, and unless you can shift 10 steres at a time like the farmers do then the profit will be tiny. Also the amount of times you handle the wood stacks up unless you have handling machinery.

Look at the cost price of the cord, add your fuel to cut, split and deliver, plus how long it will take you per stere, and compare that figure with the going rate per stere in your area.

Little confused:confused1: You start the thread saying it's a good idea then

illustrate that it isn't.

€500 after all that work!

I see it as this...

Paul has time on his hands.

He is retired not to retire but to experience another life.

Like the other guys I know, they don't count the hours and costs but only the returns.

It's clearly not a business but it is a life and life is for living.

I know where Paul is coming from and also Normandy's experience is familiar to me.

It's a paying hobby or rather a hobby with returns...eh?

Ty