Lock Jack Sport

ChrisG

Just joined the club and bought a second hand one for 74 quid.

Couple of questions for those who use them already.

Do they operate better on certain ropes?

Have I paid too much?

Is the Spiderjack way better?

Ant help/comments appreciated :thumbup:

Just joined the club and bought a second hand one for 74 quid.

Couple of questions for those who use them already.

Do they operate better on certain ropes?

Have I paid too much?

Is the Spiderjack way better?

Ant help/comments appreciated :thumbup:

You don't know its history, its age, to be honest I'm not a fan of second hand climbing gear without being sure of the above, as long as your happy to use it then fine its sounds cheap enough!

Rope wise all depends on what cam you have fitted, 12/13mm? 11/12mm? Its a great tool and very rope friendly never had any issues with it in ten years of using one! As long as your rope fits in diameter to the cam being used then any rope is great with it, although I found tachyon to be my 1st choice,

I've had Yale xtc, Marlow gecko, edelrid rainbow, tachyon, Marlow Aries, New England hivee all through the lockjack and its fine.

And no the spiderjack is not better I really don't know why people compare them as there 2 totally different operating mechanisms!

Never got on with the spider myself though!

Have fun with it I'm sure you'll love it mate

Getting all my gear Loler tested next week, so will climb on it after it's been passed (hopefully).

Couldn't afford a new one on top of all the other bits I need :-(

Thanks for the responses guys, all usefull stuff :thumbup:

everyone has different tastes in climbing gear. The Lockjack sport is the best bit of kit I've ever bought. I've been on one for 5 years or so and it works for me. Make sure you've got the right size clutch for your rope (10-11mm, 11-12mm, 12-13mm). I use 11-12mm on Yale scorch and 12-13mm on Yale XTC. Also, get some of those small DMM krabs (or equivalent). You must make sure the Krabs you use on the Lockjack are smaller than the wooden knob!...If you use large krabs the knob can get stuck in it and you'll be doing a feet, knees, chin, hospital :w00t:.

Downside of LJ is - they are pretty crap on stem work, I often go onto a prussik and choker it. The are also pretty pants in conifers unless you have a nice high anchor. I always use mine with a ropeguide, what a great energy saver! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers arbogrunt,

Yeah, I read about the karab thing before I bought it, so have ordered a couple of DMM's. I don't know what the current clutch is in it, but am going to buy a couple of new ones to be on the safe side so I know they're good like.

Looking forward to having a go on it now and may get an ART ropeguide as everyone is doing nothing but praise them.

Thanks again everyone :-)