Tree surgeon

mammal

Hi all,

just a straight foward question I have been thinking about.

At what level of training could some one call theirselves a tree surgeon?

Is it just a title that anyone with a CS30/31 can call theirselves or do you have to reach a certain level of certification before entitlement.

At what level of training could some one call theirselves a tree surgeon?

I was reading about this the other day and the answer really seems to be experience. Just because you get your cs30/31 and cs38/39 doesn't mean you have the ability to compare yourself to people who have 5/10yrs + of experience in the industry and perhaps no tickets at all.

As far as I understand it, you don't actually 'need' any quals to go out and start a business and call yourself a tree surgeon.

I was reading about this the other day and the answer really seems to be experience. Just because you get your cs30/31 and cs38/39 doesn't mean you have the ability to compare yourself to people who have 5/10yrs + of experience in the industry and perhaps no tickets at all.

As far as I understand it, you don't actually 'need' any quals to go out and start a business and call yourself a tree surgeon.

Which is why Lantra et Al are endeavouring to deliver a system that will start to separate the wheat from the chaff.

There is no definaition of a "tree surgeon" so anyone can all themselves one, you dont even need CS30/31 but a chainsaw would help!

Its just tree cutting remember, its not an unrestricted business, anybody can do it.

Withink the trade I think that 5 years full time experience as a climber is usually the bench mark but it does depend on who the mentor has been for that 5 years!!

This is just my opinion so fire away if you wish.

You might have NPTC, or whoever, to show you know how (in theory) to work safely and pass the designated tests, plus a number of years experience (I guess most people would prefer it to be about what they have themselves).

I've seen people who have 10,15, 20 years experience but when you see their work you'd have to say it was 1 years experience over and over again. A lot of guys round my way will not do TPO work (They say they are not interested in the paperwork) - or maybe they don't want their work scrutinised). Hmmmmm??????????

We can all be called tree surgeons, the quality ones are those with a good reputation.