Apprentice

arbmansam

Been having a little idea in my head for while but wondering if my age of 21 will make a difference but am i able to become an apprentice i done my cs courses at writtle but didnt complete two of the assesments has knocked my concidence considerably but am eager to work but its difficult to find someone who is willing to teach me at the same time any help would be appreciated thanks

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

When I left school I started working for a private school as a groundskeeper. Went to college, and stuck with that job for five years. I always fancied being a tree surgeon though, so I saved up, and got my first three tickets. I left at 23 just over a year ago, took a minor pay cut and started out as a ground/trainee climber with my local firm.

Haven't looked back, I'm climbing some pretty decent trees, still sharing the ground work, and having a great laugh.

Although I'm not technically an apprentice the principal remains. Keep at it with your tickets, anything to put you above the next guy after a job. Practice in your spare time. Its well worth it!

Best of luck you you matey.

Personally I reckon you would be better off knowledge wise and financially, working with a seasoned person in the game, some of the lads on here would be great if you got the opportunity.

But education in my experience is a slow game, you learn more on the job. At 21 you dont want to be earning low income. Whilst working for someone who maybe after cheap labour. I may be wrong but be careful.

Do you have any mates in this sort of work you could help/hang out with. Maybe go on the AT expeditions to kew etc. Network your way forwards.

Brilliant suggestions guys, as far as it goes i am in and out of subby work not a problem just wish it was constant but its hard to learn when jobs are rush rush i dont mind working

that pace just want time to practise the skills at a steady pace hope this makes sense

Yes makes sense. I regret not doing arb tickets years ago. I have never really worked with old boys much, but when I have I learned skills and simple ways of doing things. Do you mind traveling like silky fox did for a bit.

If you have no commitments NZ or Canada is an opportunity. If only for a year.

I would travel but one reason being i dont feel i have enough experience plus my criminal record wont allow me to work in certain countrys bit embarrassed to admit that one but i was 17 and also my little girl is 4 months it would be such a shame to miss anything new she does thanks for advice dude really appreciate your time with this

What specifically is it you'd like to practice? I find using a chainsaw from a rope easy, just common sense. It was the climbing that I had to actually get experience to be comfortable.

If you're like me then get on a couple of rec climbs. Its much more fun than work (I'm constantly being told that I'm not SAS, so I shouldn't abseil like them), and it gets you really comfy with work positioning.

Honestly, i think if i didn't have climbing experience before my 39, I'd have had a much harder time.