Difference FdSc Arb Vs HND Arb

Syd_B

Does anyone know the difference between the two? I've been looking at what comes after I've finished the BTEC at Myerscough college, and it looks like the HND isn't available in England, and the foundation degree isn't available north of the border.

I'm loath to start a degree course, basically that's because I'm already doing a degree with the open university and it will mess up funding for both courses, but I want to get as much industry training as I can.

The HND looks like it is a level below the foundation degree, so I will get funding from a different pot, but with different levels of support because Scotland has different rules for students than England.

Which is more "hands on", and is either one regarded differently in the eyes of perspective employers?

Cheers for answering more of my questions about the industry.

It looks like being a 1 year HNC at the Scottish School of Forestry, inverness. Any more and it gets complicated, but I'm hoping that will give me the hands on skill to work in woodland/forestry managment along with my degree in environment management.

I'm also looking at the bolt on stuff for ecological surveys and bat handling.

Hi there,

My understanding is that the FdSc Arb has, effectively, superceded the HND Arb (both at level 5, I believe).

If your looking for something more 'applied' you could consider the QCF Level 6 Arboriculture (see QCF Level 6 but I'm sure many other learning establishments will offer this too.)

Good luck and "gud'on'ya" for broadening your horizons.

Cheers..

Paul

Thanks paul.

I found this which is quite useful for me

(Levels and Qualifications Explained)

HNC (Higher National Certificate)

A HNC is a Level 4 course which allows you to progress onto a HND course. This is equivilent to the first year of a degree.

HND (Higher National Diploma)

A HND is a Level 5 course which allows you to progress onto a degree top-up course. This is equivalent to the second year of a degree.

Foundation Degrees

A Foundation Degree allows you to be in employment and work for a Level 5 qualification. The Foundation Degree allows progression on to a full degree through a top-up course.

Which means I'll be able to study the HNC Arboriculture & Urban Forestry at inverness without impacting on my other studies, though the workload will be considerable, as I'll be staying in student digs, and I have very little interest in going out getting smashed anymore, it looks like I should be able to find the time.

Thanks paul.

I found this which is quite useful for me

Which means I'll be able to study the HNC Arboriculture & Urban Forestry at inverness without impacting on my other studies, though the workload will be considerable, as I'll be staying in student digs, and I have very little interest in going out getting smashed anymore, it looks like I should be able to find the time.

Good luck Syd...'head down' now! :thumbup1:

Paul

Hi Syd

I did the HNC at Scottish School of Forestry back in 2003.

It gives a basic introduction to the subject with plently of practical work. I came out with CS 30,31, 38, and 39 at the end of the year.

The teaching style back then was 'relaxed' at times so you do have to take the initiative and read around the subjects for yourself if you want to gain a good understanding.

Although, Dr Stan Thompson taught us the biological subjects- he was excellent.

All the best

Callum

Thanks Callum. As I said, I want something between a BTEC and a degree, and looking around the choice is astounding, Scottish School of Forestry, or Scottish school of forestry.

Looking for something to give me more confidence and knowledge in the day to day work, while I get the qualification that will enable me to get in at the surveyer/ecologist level.

Relaxed style sounds just what I need, I'm more than capable of the workload IF I can get on with it in my own time to the deadlines.

Thanks

syd