The trailer that George built...well sort of

Coletti

Hmmm...may be a touchy subject now that I have just weighed it :/, before I say what it is, what do people think is an ideal and maximum nose weight?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Depends what you are towing with? I think my Disco3 had a max nose weight on the ball of 250kg because of the self leveling air suspension.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah okay, still think I need to make some adjustments as (unless I made a monumental mess up with the weighing) it is currently at around 175 with chipper on. Thinking the easiest way is to make up some sort of weight block to go on the rear cross member of the chassis. Other options include trading chipper in for smaller/lighter model and possibility of maybe moving the front axle forward a bit, any other suggestions are welcomed. Oh I see Martin, don't worry, you can skive off, I'll pick up the slack!! Just kidding fella, get it rested and hope it's sorted soon, got that oak reduction done today and it was nothing but a pain in the bum haha

Quick update on the weights. After loading to the top with chip today it, as expected, brought the nose weight down to a sensible level. I believe that the reason the nose weight is so high initially is cause I was weighing at the hight of a lifted truck, when weight at a fairly standard hight the nose weight came in at less than 100kg. Today I was able to get roughly 730kg of chip in a nice level load which admittedly put it over capacity for the truck but only by 190kg which is much less than I was expecting but still too much for the little jim, will be fine when I get a bigger truck though. The tipper works nicely although it doesn't come back down so well due to the weight at the back of the box however I intend to remedy this with a few diverted ball valves and a bit of clever piping so it will be powered up and down :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the pleasure of working with George the past couple of days and today I saw this rig in operation... Incredible feet of engineering.

Every little thing has been thought of.. from a folding rear flap to a removable front and hydrologic ram powered by the machine that lives on it (or a battery if the machine stays home) this is indeed the small arb firm essential.