navara rope bars

Rowden the cowboy

Does any one here have a Navara D40 and know where you can get tie down bars to secure loads on the load bed? my navara is sadly lacking in any rope hooks or anything to ratchet down timber and stuff like that so most of the load gets distributed over the road behind me as i drive away. really, a couple of bars welded to the body work paralell to the load bay on either side would do but it would be nice to make it look profesh and not like a pikey botch job. You can get them on the l200s .also, while im at it does anyone know what size tyres can be fitted to them without screwing up the castor angle and requiring tyre offset. i want to stick on BF all terrains, cos with the current tyres it is truly awful offroad.

Have got BFG mud terrains on mine. I did have ATs but muds are better at getting out of the s**t if you need it and was no need to alter anything when got them on. I`ve got hooks on mine to tie down so don`t know where you would go to get them.

You're dead right about the lack of tiedown facility - it's my biggest gripe about the vehicle but then I don't do much offroad driving so can't really comment on the performance of my standard tyres. Nissan do the awful C-rail system whereby you bolt rails into the bed and tie down to sliding cleats attached to the rails. Payload of vehicle - 1 tonne; SWL for the cleats = 200kg! What's that all about?! Why couldn't they just build in hooks along the gunwales? I can't even hook a cargo net in place.

While we're here... don't suppose you or anyone else wants a barely used under-rail loadliner for a D40 Kingcab? RRP £165, I ask £75. It's what you need if you want to put a hardtop over the liner.

• 8 months later...

Rowden, if you're interested after all this time (which I doubt!) I've put General Grabber AT2s on mine; 255/70 R16s. 4 tyres supplied, fitted, wheels balanced for £398. No adjustments needed - the supplier checked that with Nissan before buying the tyres for me.

General are made by Continental and have apparently been in the country for three/four years. My man says he has yet to see one worn out and he fits them mainly to R/Rovers for the shooting set.

Been down in the woods a couple of times (even took some chip with me!) and found 4-wheel drive redundant compared to the road tyres. Steve, how long before they stop you sounding like an Army Land Rover because of the road noise?!

• 3 weeks later...

To stick with Navara experts (!)... Been approached by a fellow owner today who was eyeing up my ladder rack with envy; 'where did you get it?' Well, mine came with the (new) vehicle but he says he's been told by Nissan that you can't add them as an accessory (we're talking D40s here).

Can anyone verify this and if the answer is 'that's tosh' where can he get one? If it is true than that's even more daft than the lack of tiedown hooks. Nissan - you're supposed to be producing working vehicles, not tax dodges (any more).

Cheers all,

Jon