Husqvarna 61 - maintenance query

flintandsteel

Hi Spud

Any preferred acid or alkali? I have loads a chems about from working on old flintlocks and stuff. Grits up to 1200 I think.

Guess I just Google Meteor or is there an address to hand?

Jon

Forgot to post the link - Piston Kit for HUSQVARNA 61 (48mm) [#503539002] | eBay

delivery takes 4-7 days - had many pistons from Leo and never an issue.

Most acids will dissolve aluminium - try either Hydrochloric or Sodium Hydroxide - I use acid and use safety specs and caution!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just mixed a couple of grams in around 100ml of water or so give or take. it was thick enough and left it on for around 10mins at a time on areas where needed only. repeated around 6 times but thats how much my cylinder needed. yours will obviously be different.

I was abit paranoid about how long and how many times i applied it. touch and go. hence why around 6 times :)

Yup, got that about. What sort of strength and how long?

Do you plug the inlets or dunk the whole thing in the mix?

Thanks for the link, I'll be on to them later.

You need to get the cylinder level and apply with a cotton bud - just to the affected areas.

Strength - around 15% is fine and 15 - 40 mins just wait for the aluminium to stop fizzing, clean and abrade the area, try again - no fizzing and it is complete - if you have one or two deep scores and the acid fizzes along the score then don't do that area longer than needed.

Getting there.

Wasn't much fizzing down the bore and the cotton bud lifted a lot of it.

Gave it a gentle rub down with some 240 and let it go smoothe to polish it. Generally looking much better.

Still got a hint of what looks more like polishing stripes (?) from the old ring top to bottom. Do I need to lose those to, even if it's no longer fizzing?

No nasty scrapes or gouging thankfully.

Fuel filter. Does this split to clean out or do I just give it a good wash in clean fuel?

Pics tomorow in good light.

Getting there.

Wasn't much fizzing down the bore and the cotton bud lifted a lot of it.

Gave it a gentle rub down with some 240 and let it go smoothe to polish it. Generally looking much better.

Still got a hint of what looks more like polishing stripes (?) from the old ring top to bottom. Do I need to lose those to, even if it's no longer fizzing?

No nasty scrapes or gouging thankfully.

Fuel filter. Does this split to clean out or do I just give it a good wash in clean fuel?

Pics tomorow in good light.

If the stripes can't be felt with the tip of your finger then it should be OK.

Many fuel filters can be split for cleaning or just purchase a new one.

Thanks Spud, think this is a one piece filter.

Here are the cleaned up bore pics. Anything looking like grit is fluff off the cloth.

Stripped and rebuilt the clutch break, several times as couldn't quite figure the b***h out. Goes on with a nice sharp snap now. Basically the grease and dust had built up to stop the main spring compressing enough, and clogged other bits.

Cleaned out everything inside and out of the casing so just awaiting the new piston.

Back once it arrives.

Jon

Is there a section covering hedge trimmers here?

Got a Kawasaki I need to re-tune.

5976639ae9135_huskib.jpg.fc4c456fdaf20b9a7ad92159136196d1.jpg

5976639ae6f9f_huskia.jpg.cf2d3dbdcb0b00094057b88981ad682a.jpg