Husqvarna 61 - maintenance query

flintandsteel

Hi

Just been using my Huski 61 and it's more or less died on me.

Kinda faded away then while still warm, if pulled to restart won't run long enough to get my finger to the throttle.

Just wondering if it might be something as simple as dust as I was out with the old chain on (new one back at base).

Reckon it's just stopped breathing or could it be more serious?

Don't think it was running over hot but in a worst case scenario can the piston be re-ringed?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Just been using my Huski 61 and it's more or less died on me.

Kinda faded away then while still warm, if pulled to restart won't run long enough to get my finger to the throttle.

Just wondering if it might be something as simple as dust as I was out with the old chain on (new one back at base).

Reckon it's just stopped breathing or could it be more serious?

Don't think it was running over hot but in a worst case scenario can the piston be re-ringed?

HI MATE subby your man on here mate jon :thumbup:

If you were using old fuel it might not have lubed properly and you m,ay have lost compression . Check all the obvious like air filter , fuel filter , spark plug . If its non of those take the exhaust can off and check the condition of the piston by looking through the exhaust port .

It could be a multitude of things but worth checking the piston through the exhuast port as Stubby mentioned.

Make sure the air filter isn't covered in crap, worth pulling the cover on the carb held on by a single screw and checking there isn't loads of sawdust in the gauze filter.

Try running the saw with the fuel cap a bit loose, it may be a tank venting issue - fair bit to work on there.

One other possibillity is an air leak - this can lean down the saw affecting its idleing.

Thanks fellas

Will give it a good strip and clean in the morning. I'll give it a pull first though see if it cold starts and feel for the initial compression - usually pretty good.

If it has lost compression is re-ringing a realistic option?

If it is down on compression then a new piston is a better option, you loose a fair bit of compression through having a sloppy piston fit - the rings are only part of the seal!

A new piston may help IF that's the issue. The cylinder could be goosed but depends if its been seized or not.

Doesn't sound like the chain was sharp for a start. So lots of dust, engine sucking air all day equals clogged filter.

And I would bet if this is the case the fuel filter will be bunged aswell.

Clean it all and try again.