Loler Costs

Treeworld

yes my forms are made up by myself but there is a lot of info that need to be included such as

safety factors

who,s kit it is

where inspection carried out

dates of previos inspections this inspection and next inspection

safe to use ect

who inspected by

and so on

Some great constructive replies, the thing initially that bugged me was when calling around most people were like " depends how much kit mate, marked up etc etc" When you tell them yes it's all marked, clean and ready for you to look at so not to waste more of yours and their time they still couldn't give a price. About 60 was the nearest i got to a price, that sounds like a builder turning up and saying ummmm gonna cost that is!!

Found a loler centre that tests all equipment in sittingbourne @ £8:50 per item or £50 for a kit. They mostly do mewps etc, liked their commitment to price so off to them next week.

Cheers

Dave.

I can see where your coming from dave but as always it is awkward till you do see the stuff

rigging is worse as finding all SWL ect for some of the equipment brought

and marking all ropes crabs ect and logging it all takes ages sometimes

how much would you charge me to take down the sycamore tree in my garden its not very big

and how much to trim and reduce my conifers

would be interested in who would be cheapest then

Without trying to get into the loler for and against argument I think that who ever governs or runs loler should state exactly how the forms should be set out, whats included and to what spec the kit should be inspected to.

Surely its no good you guys paying to go on a loler course then having to make your own sheets up!

I mean are there guidelines anywhere as to what we should be looking at when we inspect our kit?

I did some training for checking kit when I was in college back in 94/95 but things have changed since then but the gear hasnt.

I consider myself a competent person since I have done a NCH (arb) course and have been climbing in the industry for over 14 years, I doubt that would stand up in court though against someone who has been on a 3 day training course.:001_smile:

Without trying to get into the loler for and against argument I think that who ever governs or runs loler should state exactly how the forms should be set out, whats included and to what spec the kit should be inspected to.

Surely its no good you guys paying to go on a loler course then having to make your own sheets up!

I mean are there guidelines anywhere as to what we should be looking at when we inspect our kit?

I did some training for checking kit when I was in college back in 94/95 but things have changed since then but the gear hasnt.

I consider myself a competent person since I have done a NCH (arb) course and have been climbing in the industry for over 14 years, I doubt that would stand up in court though against someone who has been on a 3 day training course.:001_smile:

yes there are guidelines

they do give you examples of blanks

there is certain info that should be include and that would be taught on the course

you think things have changed since 94/95 but not the gear well my gear certainly has no 3 strand or screwgates for me

forms for loler will vary from person to person and from how in depth they do there stuff mine certainly has evolved over the years to try to make it more comprehensive but yet simple and easy to understand for everyone

and how computer literate or illiterate some folk are

and i am not disputing the lengh of the course but they need several years of industry experience to go on the course and i know of several that after passing the EXAM have decided that they are not competent to assess kit

p.s the exam is very hard and indepth with a high standard and failure rate

hello all

just been reading through all the replies on this topic, and find it very interesting, as i am a loler inspector and also have the dubiouse honour of training potensial inspectors, there seem to be a few issues that have croppped up hear, first cost.

at BTS/trees unlimited wedo loler inspections, bring stuff to the shop (by prior appointment) and we chare £35 per hour +vat, we charge like that simply because you never know what you are getting many people are very good, well maintained gear, well marked good records etc, some are bad and i mean really bad the gear is minging, no records no pirchase records no real understanding of the regs etc, and of cource everything in between. if people tell us to we will do minor repairs and marking for that prive, but only very minor stuff. that time also encludes filling out the record of inspection, our on costs etc, if we need to fit stuff to repair items then we do it bridge on a butterfly2 etc that is charged at our retail. i think thats quite resnoble and we alway try and give an estimation of cost, the average clibers kit with a few gadgets takes about 1-1 1/2 hrs plus write up time, but can take a lot longer. we also offer advice and try to inform peopleif there have been problems such as gear miss matching noted.

i used to do LOLER cheaks for myself when i wasself employed and sawall sorts of bad things happening from ether fixed price people or generic testers, the most expensive hicup was when i had to scrap in the region of 400 karabeaners that the nice men from the insurace companies test house has cold stamped on critical radi points, that was a big big bill for a nationl employer, and highlights an issue with some loer provisions, that is would not tell a mewp guy how to do his loler inspection, engeneering hydrodynamics etc etc, like wise i would s ask him not to tell me about arb kit........ there are some very good ones out there but also bad...........

in a similar vein, there is some kit that 'sales men' will tell you must be LOLER'd but it is very very dependant on what you do with it, ie tirfor/wire pulling winch, most of us do not lift with them in fact on al ot of new models it says not for lifting and yet companies like lgh will perpetuate the fact you need them cheaked, were as ofter you do not need the loler level of cheak.

as for the forms/record of inspection, the ACOP produced by the HSC states clearly what must be a minimum on it, but not what lay out it takes, it can be electronic if you wish...... and when training we do give examples

training the LANTRA NPTC roought is in flux at the moment with and increased study time and revised exam method to ensure it is keeping track with how the industry is changing etc.........

i dont whant to get in to the rights and wrongs of the law and making us do tests but i have seen some very very very bad things given for inspection with the words its fine i hang on it every day no worries mate, and well they scare me, just remember the inspector is looking to ensure that the kit would still perform to the relivant CE standards, not if it will take your weight, as when u most need the kit in an emergeny or fall is not when u whant it to fail or misfunction.

cheers all, whatever your feelings about this, look after your kit, be kind to it, near enough with PPE is never good enough, as i have been belive me, ive sen the aftermath of when it goes wrong, clime safe

kev

yes there are guidelines

Where?

they do give you examples of blanks

Where?

you think things have changed since 94/95 but not the gear well my gear certainly has no 3 strand or screwgates for me

Cant we use 3 strand anymore?

How many climbers died/injured from a screwgate coming undone? Not many I bet!

What about the harness?

and how computer literate or illiterate some folk are

Well sorry if thats aimed at me I try my best :001_smile:

Where?

in loler regs and manufacturers info try petzl site

Where?

on loler courses

Cant we use 3 strand anymore?

How many climbers died/injured from a screwgate coming undone? Not many I bet!

What about the harness?

do not see why you can not use 3 strand other than why would you when better stuff

i believe accidents did happen with screwgates as why would they have been eliminated for climbing on

not sure what you mean about harness

Well sorry if thats aimed at me I try my best :001_smile:

not aimed at you or anyone was a general point

spreadsheets with headers and footers and all that stuff are not everyones cup off tea

so how much to cut my tree and trim my wifes bush and tidy the conifer