"Money's not on it mate"

cheesmanator

Evening chaps (and chapet's),

How's the day gone for everyone? Wanted to get some advice on a saying that is thrown around alot at work. What do you guys do when you've got 7 planes to 30%CR and you know the gaffer hasn't quite got the timing right? Do you get in and do a quick job coz I got 6 more to do in a certain time, or would you get out to every tip and give it a proper going over knowing you'll run over?

Also, what's the score with your own firms and working late? Like late day after late day after late day..... When is enough enough for everyone? Keeping in mind the employment law 48hr week.

Cheers. Hope everyone's okay !!!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ brownlie - don't think so pal, got an email PDF on employment law from the guys at ArbAid. The boss should ask in writing apparently.

@ rich - on the books employee, lead climber.

My contract states 40hrs but as soon as I work more than that I automatically sign my self out of working time directive. If I want to comply to working time directive I have to give company 12 weeks notice.

UK is exempt from working time directive. I work 60hrs week most weeks !

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Do you get overtime or a bonus? Anything like that? Or is the classic line of "swings and roundabouts"? And it's never our turn on the swing.....

@ coleman. You know what I mean... Also being freelance you must get a higher rate as you pay your own tax and ni (???).

Edited by cheesmanator

I think from an employees perspective it can be a strange one. Day after day after day of the same underpriced overworked jobs can really demoralize the team.

I appreciate that it isn't the easiest of economic times atm. Do you think the boss has not allocated enough time because he has forgotten how long jobs actually take? Or has he gone in with a price that is keen as! to win the work and keep you guys working and thus wages going in your bank and food on your families table?

Either one can result in the same, staff feeling under pressure to complete a job on time. Life isn't easy and maybe the boss is having a hard time getting work in hence the timings and prices.

FTR, I am a freelance climber and if looks like it will run over for whatever reason, I will try to work my utmost and will have a minimal break to try and get the jobs done. If it is running over by only a small fraction then I would try and knuckle down and get finished. If it has been monumentally messed up and will need at least half a day or a day to finish... then I usually get on the blower.

I am only human, not super human, my conscience is clear that I have done my utmost to complete the job in the quoted time frame.

The different scenarios are in relation to the company you work for. If it was a street contract type company in London, then it is par for the course and will be the same pretty much most days, hence the quite high turnover in staff. If it is a domestic or smaller company doing commercial work then can you have a word?

I have had one guy come up to me explaining the difficulties of winning work etc and point blank said it will be tight. Honesty imo is the best policy and I appreciated the heads up so would try and get it sorted for him. Sometimes that is easier said than done though... motivating his staff etc.

If it is just through shear greed for the quantity of work or a major error. I would deal with it on a case by case basis.

In the past I have asked someone if they thought I was superhuman, they were just takin' the pee. I invoiced them and never worked for them again.