Big Snatch

Ewan Murray

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha i have achieved what I set out to do. (Right now Tim is setting up a death defying stunt rig just to show and prove that he is the best tree guy in the world. But he cant see that i'm saying this, so we can all laugh at him) :)

Edited by mistahbenn

Re. previous suggestions to double the rope - we didn't have enough to double through the entire system, and it wouldn't have worked well either - it was hard enough with one rope not to end up with rope-on-rope anywhere. RC0's suggestion (double rope and rig normally) might well have worked - we'd have run out of rope before the ground but we could have taken the hit on our 3-strand and joined it to the dbl-braid after we took wraps on the trees. We'd still have strength loss - 35% is the assumed loss for a clove hitch I believe - I wonder what the strength loss at our shackle ended up being? We broke a (nominally) 50t rope setup so I guess the strength loss must have been > 50%?

You don't nee to run the double-line the entire system, just the first few wraps, for the initial shock load. The lowering to the ground part later is academic.

Your setup, as you had, it might have worked with a bigger shackle (+5)....or would stood a much better chance at least considering where it broke. Bit instead of getting the full benefit of the cradle rig, your little shackle instead seemed to cut right through it.....so all you really gained by the cradle was a little extra stretch. I wouldnt wanna haul a monster shackle up there either though.

Congrats to your friend:thumbup1:

You don't nee to run the double-line the entire system, just the first few wraps, for the initial shock load. The lowering to the ground part later is academic.

Your setup, as you had, it might have worked with a bigger shackle (+5)....or would stood a much better chance at least considering where it broke. Bit instead of getting the full benefit of the cradle rig, your little shackle instead seemed to cut right through it.....so all you really gained by the cradle was a little extra stretch. I wouldnt wanna haul a monster shackle up there either though.

Congrats to your friend:thumbup1:

I just realised I just said something you already had covered, about the using the doubled line only for the tie-off and the wraps. Pardon me. We have joined double a line in such a way in the past by using wipping in 4 places within a 10ft span (outside the wraps obviously) with good results, probably with a 10mm DB in this case. This is not advice by the way. 35% strength loss on a doubled line is still pretty good.