How do you manage your distractions when doing a course from home?

sasha.p

Definitely the timetable! I have done many a course in a similar situation. At least then the better half new when I was studying. Plus you then know how long you have yourself to get your work done! This helps with motivation. Always helps if you can study somewhere neutral like a library.

Good luck

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Thanks everyone I think your right being home wont help I think I should look in to potential places to take time out to do it and work out just how much time I can devote to it so I can decide what to go for thanks for the info on what courses and where they are I will have to give them a ring and make enquiries.

I think its either gonna be that or drop a weekday working and work a Sat instead and use the weekday for the course but then would still have school holidays with kids to work around and to try to focus I seriously think getting a workshop/office and migrating to the garden may be the answer as long as they don't follow me out there lol I will do a timetable its been a few years since I done the last long term course that was two years and I managed great then but that was before I had kids.

I loved being back in college when I done my tickets it was fantastic to be out in the woods away from it all and learning thats what frustrates me the most is I want to learn more but every time I walk in the front door I step back into mum/wife mode and don't seem to get much time to do much else I even bought a scooba to clean my floors and hired an ironing lady to try and create more time for me its worked a little but I could do with more lol.anyway im rambling on a bit thanks for the advice much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know you would rather do distance learning but how about a part-time course where you attend college/uni one day a week. Can be a long day but if you have no lectures then utilise the library (resource centre in most places now i think) which often have dedicated HE areas. Just throwing another option into the pot.

• 2 months later...

I'm studying for an FDSc on-line, and like most students, I find that there is a lot of last-minute cramming, because I'm not motivated to do it bit by bit like I should do!

Next year I'm considering steps to help me focus. Where it internet based, tabbing out from my assignment work to google something often leads me down strange routes on wikipedia or youtube, which lead to massive procrastination.

So my idea is to set up a cheap computer or laptop somewhere else in the house with a filter to block all the tempting websites like youtube, facebook... maybe even arb talk! And sit in a room where there is no TV or other similar distractions!

The time alone isn't the problem with distance learning. Less contact with tutors and sometimes weeks without hearing from other students, its quite hard to bounce ideas around and keep motivated!

But definitely worth it in the end.

My experience of this course is that despite recommended study times, you could definately get away with 15 minutes a night, 5 nights a week, with a bit extra when assignment dates draw close or exams approach. Little and often is 100% the way forward. Unfortunately it seems the hardest to actually do!

Best of luck