Pershore college

jackmayo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi jack

Learn the law it's the most important thing it's cost me more money than anything else

Now I know the law I earn more money

Now all the things I worked hard at to try and earn a living I do for fun and it pays

Forget your tickets learn the law and the excemptions

Work to a Agro forestry permaculture concept

I now all this sounds weird but spend a day checking out what I have posted and life will be easy

Good luck fella

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the forum, and the path you are about to take. There is nothing like this area of work, and the subject has so many aspects that you will never stop learning it.

I didn't attend this college, but I can offer some advice; Do your assignments as soon as you get them, ask if you dont understand something, make the most of your education while it is free. Oh, and use Arbtalk, its the best reference guide you will ever find!

I am sure you can not do them until you are 17 but i am not 100% on that!

You do the tickets as part of the course but again i am not 100%

I'm doing the Level 2 Arb Diploma at Derby college. I am a bit more long in the tooth than you guys, but I thought f*** it, While I havenet got a job I may as well go for it.

A few of the guys on the course with me straight out of school were wanting to do the NPTC tickets and there was nothing stopping them, until they realised that All of CS30 and most of CS31 would be covered as part of the course, the advice from the tutor was to wait til easter, and then get a bit of extra tuition to do the assesments then(and learn the schedule off by hart). That way they would just need to pay for the assesments and so save at least £500.

Personally I'm (hopefully) off to Myerscough at preston to do the level 3 in september. I'm allready well on the way to an Open Uni degree I started a few years ago so I don't need the degree in arb as much as I need the practical knowledge, and as a bonus I've been told that Myerscough throw in a hefty bunch of NPTC tickets included in the cost of the course.

Its worth checking with the college once you have started the course though, they might have something like a discount for assesments or "Short Courses".

You will probably still need to pay for the other tickets, Tree climbing (CS38) is only touched upon, and no areal rescue is taught at all. Check the syllabus that the college is working towards for a better idea.

It also might be worth getting some of the books from the reading list to swat up on over the holidays. The Arborists & The Foresters Companions, Woodland Managment A practical guide and the secret life of trees all helped give me a decent footing at the start of the course.

One last piece of advice, Stay on top of your assignments, and ask your tutors to have a look at them before you hand them in, if you are well in front of the cut off date they should be ok with that, then make any changes they suggest and you should fly through with top marks.