What chipper for garden use ?

gensetsteve

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The secret to burning! Burning should be taught in college as it can be an art!

Start building your fire with a good "bottom", dead sticks and build up to logs then green stuff with butt ends to the winward side and all stems parallel. As the centre burns, pull out the butt endsvand chuck into the middle. The wind should blow the heat and flames through toward the back. Keep pulling the eides and front out and placing on top and in the middle. Remember, butt into the wind and stems parallel. It will burn.

I've built huge fires, once burning 17 mature trees on a fire in a day on a fire no gigger than a double bed!

Decisions decisions I like the idea of owning as it gives me flexibility when the weather is against us ie wind wrong direction for burning also I will soon have modern houses down my boundry. Hiring is ok but sods law says as the chipper turns up we get a generator call out. Pto chipper sounds good but means I will have to keep my last tractor but it does justify having it and could be used on jobs locally if any one gets a job on.

To be fair 2k will get you a dog of a hydraulic feed roller chipper. I have a 5" gravity feed bearcat with the big shreader hopper on the top complete with blower. I want about £1500 for it and it's a good first chipper but you would need a quad or ride on to tow it about or behind a 4x4. It's a well put together simple machine but i've upgraded to a TW150 vtr and it's just sat in the barn now not doing owt.

I did have a 13hp honda powered machine looked very similar to the global machine. Gravity feed systems seem hard work with our hedge cuttings. I had an old 4-5" hyd feed machine and it worked well. Our hedges often seem to be tough balls of ivy. If it was nice straight hazel or similar I think it would feed better.

The 20"x30" shredder hopper deals with hedging quite well we've done quite alot of hawthorn and beech hedging with it. It's been quite good being able to put knarly bits through the top and larger straight bits through the chipper on the side. I know many people rage about cs100's,tw13g's and jb's but the choke point on all of them is the hopper. The 20hp kohler engine is a bit of a little monster aswell. As for hydraulic machines there is a drum chipper/shreeder hybrid similar to the negri type chipper on ebay but it's alot dearer than 2k. I'll see if i can find a link.