Any arbtalking veg growers in da house?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Well Tony for the first time I am using a reduced peat growing media. It's a bit of a gamble for me but thought I would have a go at saving the planet for you.

SHL POTTING PRO 50 GROWING MEDIUM 75LTR

If all goes well I might even roll the dice next year and go all in.

Sinclair New Horizon Pro Pot / Bedding Compost 75LTR

Here's some organic fertiliser ideas.

Organic Fertilisers for Commercial Growers

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pics of your spuds Tony. I have always just accepted the shrinkage in the chitted spuds. Your technique looks to be going very well. As for the peas I would nip out the tips if they are getting too straggly. This Baltic air will do them no got so don't be tempted just yet.

I havnt really got any further with my garden due to weather but also had an accident. The potatoes are chitting ready and got some veg sown in trays but nowt done in the ground. Hopefully soon though. Nice fork and spade tony look very smart! :cool:

I love my allotment, just wish i could spend more time on it. This year my dad is sharing it with me due to him getting on a bit, so instead of him struggling with his own and me not managing mine properly it suits us both. We only grow standard stuff but thoroughly enjoy it. my dad likes to grow chrysanths , and i like to grow sweet peas, so plenty of colour this year.

and for those that was interested in the way i started my spuds off, the egg boxes proved inferior, got some lovely shoots and roots coming off the soiled ones and no shriveling on them either, seems far better for an early start.

my peas and cabbages are off to a flying start but desperatley want them out in the garden, the cold is doing my nut!

[ATTACH]119050[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]119051[/ATTACH]

Thing is aren't you finding a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, I mean they shrink a bit and yet still produce a full crop, so why do it?

My old man used to cut his potatoes in half before planting.