Insurance for climber

muttley9050

Got about 8 acres of wood where i live, in need of the attention of a climber. Someone one of my housemates knows has offered to come stay for a couple of weeks and do some work in exchange for bed+board etc. Trouble is shes got no insurance as shes currently employed by the queen at windsor park. How much does p.l. insurance for a climber cost, is there the option of us insuring her for two weeks? People living here will be working as her groundy, but some work may be roadside. Thinking bout risking it as its too good a oppurtunity to turn down. Whats your thoughts on this. Dont think everybody here is up for it and our p.l. only covers members of the co-op to operate machinery etc.

Thx

James

It all rather depends who or what you're trying to protect.

What sort of claim could be made?

Is the work going to be carried out over footpaths, roads, other people's property?

Are you planning on forcing her to do dangerous work?

If they're coming to stay for a week with a friend to play in some trees on private property on a non commercial basis and not for reward then personally I wouldn't bother with insurance.

If this is a business venture and everyone is benefitting from it then you should have employers liability but it's up to the climber if they have PLI. In reality though, how much damage can be done to property or the general public in your 8 acre wood....?

Ultimately it's up to you how you play it, but if I was in your position and someone was coming to play in my trees, I wouldn't waste money on insurance.

And if I was going to climb for someone as a favour (as I do sometimes) well, I don't have insurance....

So make of that what you will.....:biggrin:

Thx, Im tending to agree with worcs, shes coming to stay for a while anyway, question is really if we let her climb uninsured, shes more than happy too, The only gain is the fact we will get some work done. I suppose looking in another way, as a large housing co-op, we regularly have friends/relatives staying, with free board and food etc, would it not be the case that any help they give us, being feeding animals, chopping logs with an axe etc would be requiring e.l. as much as a climber on the same basis, albeit a little less dangerous?

This falls right into that murky grey zone where so long as everything ticks along nicely without incident then you're theoretically legal, but if she does fall out of a tree and end up killed, where will things go then....?

I guess one solution could be to get her to sign a brief disclaimer basically confirming that she is climbing recreationally for her own enjoyment and practice and that she does so entirely at her own risk, you are simply allowing her access to your trees and it is up to her to use her experience and training to assess and manage risk.

Your involvement extends only so far as identifying trees which she may cut if she so chooses and clearing up the mess.

How that would stand up in court I couldn't say, but I am sensing a general shift towards taking common sense into account in these sorts of cases recently so it may be sufficient to ensure than any accidents are viewed as just that.....:001_huh::001_smile:

It all rather depends who or what you're trying to protect.

What sort of claim could be made?

Is the work going to be carried out over footpaths, roads, other people's property?

Are you planning on forcing her to do dangerous work?

If they're coming to stay for a week with a friend to play in some trees on private property on a non commercial basis and not for reward then personally I wouldn't bother with insurance.

If this is a business venture and everyone is benefitting from it then you should have employers liability but it's up to the climber if they have PLI. In reality though, how much damage can be done to property or the general public in your 8 acre wood....?

Ultimately it's up to you how you play it, but if I was in your position and someone was coming to play in my trees, I wouldn't waste money on insurance.

And if I was going to climb for someone as a favour (as I do sometimes) well, I don't have insurance....

So make of that what you will.....:biggrin:

Sounds right to me. If no public exposure then no need for insurance.

Public liability is for YOUR liabilty to a third person i.e. the public. It doesnt protect her (the climber) for anything.

If your not employing her then you dont need EL insurance, so dont bother with it.

Of course if she injures herself then thats on your concience but no more than if a freind falls off a bike while out for a ride with you. As long as shes happy to do the climbing and wont sue you for any injuries, and the public arnt exposed so they wont sue YOU for any injuries/damage caused by YOUR choice to get a climber freind in rather than hire a proffessional. (your freind may well be a proffessional but not while working for you in this manner she isnt, she's a freind).