ebay scam; re the UTB 640 crawler

difflock

I got a "second chance" proportedly from ebay offering me this item because the high bidder had pulled out.

Looked very genuine, £10,000 guarentee etc etc.

But I was suspicious due to a few wee things

(i) like del to N Ireland for £100.00:lol:

(ii) unable to view because divorced and moved to Inverness

(iii) No VAT mentioned

Finally got through to ebay on the phone.

the key was demand for payment by bank transfer.

Plus no communication from "my ebay"

& ebay always uses Paypal.

A experienced ebayer work mate here said it looked 100%

Bastard near owed my £4,400.00

but

Gosh for the very first time I am wiser without being any poorer except for lost time.

cheers

Marcus

Where theres money to be made the bad boys will move in.

Shame it just reduces the trust we have in everyone - that includes the nice bods.

I guess the only thing you can do is ALWAYS be careful - the honest bods will understand.

From my experience its the scummy scammy brigade who get stroppy when you insist on progressing the deal in a controlled/safe manner.

It's a bit like customers asking to see proof of insurance or qualifications - we might be surprised at first but if everybody did it it would drive out the cowboys.

It was a fairly professional (attempted) scam, incl the follow up communication from "ebay" from I presume the same scammers wishing to investigate the attemp to "hack into" my ebay account.

Copy and paste of pages of genuine dense text is a very powerful tool for hiding the few significent doctored bits.

Hiding in plain sight a kinda.

A Good job I am a kinda paranoid, if technically incompetent, about computer money transactions, especially involving MY money.