Ash Included Bark; Should it stay or go

TFABW

Inlaws have an Ash with a large section of included bark between the forks making up the top half of the tree, neighbors house is under one side, drive under the other. However they are keen to keep the tree if possible, wondered if anyone who had more experience of included bark could suggest just how bad it is, is it an imminent risk or does it just need keeping an eye on? It also has a large old wound and cavity from what looks like it was a flush cut, which has developed rams horns.

Canterbury-20130110-00022.jpg.6efb0b2ac22349bafda0d32d5e954d97.jpg

Canterbury-20130110-00020.jpg.b39414a528a637c86db4d0ef05978775.jpg

Canterbury-20130110-00019.jpg.486a884b1dc1c48c8056ee7f9f913d50.jpg

Canterbury-20130110-00021.jpg.5fd7708a99a9e15a0699526774e1c920.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woundwood is so thick around the hole it is questionable whether the area is stronger or weaker than before. :001_huh: Not sure what is meant by ram's horns--could that feature also be termed "closure"? esp. if tissues are grafting...

Hard to give prognosis or specs for care without seeing the whole tree, but it could be a <$300 USD support cable and/or pruning could solve any actual weakness in the fork. Not that it appears weak from this view. :001_cool:

If you feel inside the cavity the woundwood has rolled in against itself which I understood to mean that it could no longer close, and in worse circumstances could cause cracks. Although Rams horns is a term I have heard here I have also seen it in Shigo, is it a term subject to regional variation in names over there perhaps? The cavity extends in all directions further than I can get my fingers in so there is a rot column developing. Though the woundwood section around the cavity is obviously very strong.

The limbs above the included section have few branches for some way up and the height they would have to be reduced to for safety would mean that doing so would be topping them. The price for cabling and the continued inspections and maintenance implications plus its proximity above and beside a listed and Kent historic building, as well as the fact it is one of a row of likely self sown ash means we will go with my initial instinct and peoples reaction and remove it.

"If you feel inside the cavity the woundwood has rolled in against itself which I understood to mean that it could no longer close, and in worse circumstances could cause cracks.

It is closing, and How do you know it has not grafted?

" The cavity extends in all directions further than I can get my fingers in so there is a rot column developing.

So what? The tree does not need heartwood.

" Though the woundwood section around the cavity is obviously very strong.

Obviously. VERY. STRONG. So what are we talking about? :blushing:

"The limbs above the included section have few branches for some way up and the height they would have to be reduced to for safety"

What height is this? Why do they have to be reduced at all? Loss of heartwood does not always make trees unsafe--very seldom in fact.

"The price for cabling and the continued inspections and maintenance implications"

This price is near $0. Images can be sent to arborist for inspection, or done by binoculars in seconds. Zero mtc for life of materials, >30 years.

"plus its proximity above and beside a listed and Kent historic building,

The tree has history as well as other significant value.

"as well as the fact it is one of a row of likely self sown ash

what does it matter how it got there? The tree is there and has value. This must be considered, along with the desire to cut firewood.