Prospective Arborist

MovingOnUp84

Dear All

I am intending to embark on a 5 week training course with Kingswood training in May/June-13 as the main element of my Military resettlement training.

i am aware from the numerous posts on this site that the majority of companies require experience, and tend to have that as a pre-requisite on their vacancy advertisements.

My main question is whether companies are in general are willing to take on guys with little experience in a groundsman capacity with a view to allowing progression to climber?

I also intend to complete my driving C+E and off road courses and a General NEBOSH certificate as other posts have led me to believe these will aid in employment

i would be very grateful for honest and frank opinions and advice from people with recent experience in either finding employment or seeking to employ someone in this industry

Kind regards

Rob:confused1:

Hi Rob.

I was in the same position as you this time last December. (starting out within the arb industry)

Over a period of 3 months I went about getting my tickets (30,31,32,38,39) Meanwhile I was phoning every Tree Surgeon local to me asking for work. I started out with the odd day here and there with several different companies but nothing full time.

Then after awhile of just taking everything in, looking and asking the right questions. I finally landed my first full time groundsman job.

I was at that company for 9 months before moving on. Now, after a year in the trade I have a job where I am the 2nd climber and climb fairly regularly.

So in answer to your question, Yes! Stick with it.

Through hard work and respect for the working environment you will make a name for your self and someone will want you!

Isaac

Dear All

I am intending to embark on a 5 week training course with Kingswood training in May/June-13 as the main element of my Military resettlement training.

i am aware from the numerous posts on this site that the majority of companies require experience, and tend to have that as a pre-requisite on their vacancy advertisements.

My main question is whether companies are in general are willing to take on guys with little experience in a groundsman capacity with a view to allowing progression to climber?

I also intend to complete my driving C+E and off road courses and a General NEBOSH certificate as other posts have led me to believe these will aid in employment

i would be very grateful for honest and frank opinions and advice from people with recent experience in either finding employment or seeking to employ someone in this industry

Kind regards

Sounds like a plan to me, the only change I would suggest is that a jobbing arborist wont find any direct benefit from NEBOSH. I think pesticides or stump grinder ticket would be preferable.

Dear All

Kind regards

Hi Rob

as per the other posts you are doing the right courses to get your foot in the door with any decent firm, even the NEEBOSH will be beneficial to an approved contractor etc,

I sometimes instruct courses at kings wood for service leavers etc and can tell you that you will get a great start there, and with your squaddie ethic you should do well in this trade.

Terry