stihl ripping chain

Mike Dempsey

needed another chain for my 36'' bar for my 066 so I thought I would try some stihl ripping chain for a change. Normally I buy stihl normal chain and convert it myself to 'Granberg' style. This takes a couple of hours to do but it lasts for ages and is very good.

Anyone got any opinions on the stihl ripping chain?

I like the sthil ripping chain but last couple of time l went for the oregon super 70 which seems as good.

Never tried the granberg as sharpening at the same angle with standard ripping chain, seems quicker than having to sharpen at different angles for the scoring and clearing cutters of the granberg

Isn't there an increased risk of kickback with a ripping chain? I bought one last year and it came with a warning that it should only be used in a mill type arrangement where saw is fixed. Still used it though and found it brilliant - but I just do firewood and so I'm not getting into the weird and wonderful cutting situations that u guys do!!

Steve

I will only be using it on my mill. You should never use ripping chain for anything other than ripping in a mill setup. As you said there is a greater chance of kickback. Perhaps you were lucky the last time you used it, perhaps you wont be lucky the next time!

The chain arrived a few days ago and this afternoon I am going out to crosscut the logs to the right sizes and prepare them for milling tomorrow if the weather is ok.

Looking forward to it.

I like the sthil ripping chain but last couple of time l went for the oregon super 70 which seems as good.

Never tried the granberg as sharpening at the same angle with standard ripping chain, seems quicker than having to sharpen at different angles for the scoring and clearing cutters of the granberg

I now file the granberg all at 10 degrees and this works well and there's less fiddling about.

:001_smile:

needed another chain for my 36'' bar for my 066 so I thought I would try some stihl ripping chain for a change. Normally I buy stihl normal chain and convert it myself to 'Granberg' style. This takes a couple of hours to do but it lasts for ages and is very good.

Anyone got any opinions on the stihl ripping chain?

I've converted Stihl ripping chain into a Granberg type config but with all set to 10 degrees - works very well.

Buying a Stihl ripping chain will save you some time...

Stihl does feel like the best chain to me but it's hard to test this to prove it... it certainly looks nicer!

Steve

I will only be using it on my mill. You should never use ripping chain for anything other than ripping in a mill setup. As you said there is a greater chance of kickback. Perhaps you were lucky the last time you used it, perhaps you wont be lucky the next time!

I'm not so sure kickback is greater... I have a feeling it's just easier to have that on the ripping chain label as if people did have a kickback when cross cutting with using ripping chain at least they've been told....

I have found no physical tests or proof (if there is any please put in a link) of where the whole 'ripping chain leads to greater kickback' comes from but my hunch is it's easier for the manufacturers to say 'don't use for cross cutting' as it covers them in case of an accident.

:001_smile: