Am I selling myself short?

Alex S

It's good experience though and of course that will make you a better person at what you do which in turn leads you to making more money. You can also see the screw ups that the boss makes in pricing and damage etc. without it coming out of your pocket.

It would be good to do a job or two of your own to quite easily double your dosh in a week!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if im wrong then tell me but when i went self employed and i went to see my accountant

he told me i need to be earing money from more than one person and if the tax man checked me out i need to prove im earning my own money rather than 1-2 people paying me a wage

as ur not paying as much NI being self employed

u could be asked to pay the a back dated amount of NI to the last time u was empolyed

as the tax man would look at it u should be employed

if u are going to ask u boss for a better day rate be carefull

u DONT want to lose the job u have

get on the phone and see if u can find more work

Edited by burrell_

if im wrong then tell me but when i went self employed and i went to see my accountant

he told me i need to be earing money from more than one person and if the tax man checked me out i need to prove im earning my own money rather than 1-2 people paying me a wage

as ur not paying as much NI being self employed

u could be asked to pay the a back dated amount of NI to the last time u was empolyed

as the tax man would look at it u should be employed

if u are going to ask u boss for a better day rate be carefull

u DONT want to lose the job u have

get on the phone and see if u can find more work

Your about right.

The self employed thing has many grey areas, working for 2 people wont really count as self employed, working for one upto 80% of your time and then 20 others a year might be better. And if you charge the same per day, day in and day out, then thats not good. But ultimatly if you are in charge of who you work for and when (you have a diary and people book you in advance for specific job for example) then you can be self employed, and as long as the tax is paid then its not too much of an issue.

Aye, there's the rub, I'm learning a lot and getting faster every day. I'm also learning exactly what not to do..

If you could get through a year or two on this fake self employed basis then you would be well set to get a proper job or take on your own work but I doubt you will make it that long at that rate.

YOu could tell him that he needs to pay your tax, but he wont and you'll be out of work.

No way mate!How much is this guy making out of you,you can bet yer ar*e hes making at least £100 a day on you! You need to be earning that your self! Tell him to poke it!

Every employer (good or bad) needs to be making profit on each persons work, thats normal.

He coudl be making 2-300 out of him.

The employee only needs to getting a good living wage and holidays etc and his tax paid, and then the employer is free and moraly free, to make as much profit as he wants.

Me and my missus are moving out soon and the costs genuinely scare me!I think I've I was self employed I think 100 a day would be a real struggle for me to get by on! Ok I live in the south east which is pricey but even still the cost of living is to high to be able to earn less.

Your in a saturated market in afraid but if your good or have some promise you'll get the work and monney elsewhere. I agree with you about the asda thing I think it's ridiculous when people say that!

Put your prices up or walk when you get some more work!

Alex , you don't say just where you are geographically. Hows your relationship with the Boss?? can you not have a discussion?

It would be easy for myself to say jack it in - I'm not the one left without income afterwards!

You could however be proactive on forums such as this one and ask for some freelance work. Gather your thoughts and determine just what you need to survive and fix your rate based upon that. Times are hard but most value good workers. Dont forget your worth isent just about the money. Reliability trustworthyness punctuality and conscientious attitude are all assets that you appear to be demonstrating.

Finally re affirm your commitment to your current boss so he knows you will be happy with a rate of (X) per day and that if you get that you won't be thinking of leaving (assuming the conversation with him goes well)

I wish you good luck in Gaining an increase mate..

Cheers Tony

When we use a sub-contractor climber he has his own insurance, own equipment, own fuel, own transport and his own risk. The man we use is fully qualified and very experienced and we charge him out at £120.00 per day. That is also what we pay him. We are quite open about this cost with clients and have never had anyone question his value to the job as we only use him on difficult or dangerous trees.

We would not pay someone at a day rate of £60.00 because it is simply not enough. If you lose a contract on price you lose it - better than taking risks or losing money.