Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Ah, that makes more sense, wasn't aware of any more fruitings on Sandy.

Was your trip out across the Heath with Andy?

It was, indeed. Saw plenty of boletes being munched on by Hypomyces chrysospermus, and some really cool Scleroderma citrinum being parasitised by Pseudoboletus parasiticus! From the latter, I learned that it's actually a mycorrhizal bolete, though cannot get the necessary amount of nutrients from its mycorrizal associations alone and thus feasts on earthballs as well.

This cutleaf beech seems to have had some old school tree surgery

cutleaf.jpg.fe1019fa62e9db11b8400c6ccba401c4.jpg

I last saw it over 10 years ago and was surprised it had survived the axe as it is only 30ft from a minor, sunken road and the bracket was quite big then. It's interesting also in that there are 3 daughter trees in the drip line, I am told by the boss they probably layered from drooping branches. As he and I were back there today felling a dead cedar I had a look and the brackets are spectacular.

gano.jpg.9ebc7d7384f5eac20bd89ba86d267ea2.jpg

Closer inspection reveals the old 2" steel drains and the cavity top middle has occluded over chicken mesh to deter animals. I imagine the tree must be substantially hollow now.

drain.jpg.31974510ff940f4c534f769a3400d3a9.jpg

The house is on the market so I wonder if the new owner will be quite so laissez faire