Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

David you might remember this one from last year, it had a decent rack of Laetiporous and rather plump Resinaceum down low. This year no resi and the laeti is smaller and slightly higher, though in the same vertical alignment. This year there are two small Fistulina present too, one at ground level and one up next to the laeti.

It looks as though the pore layer on the fisti has not fully developed, has anyone come across this symptom on an annual fungi before? I'd imagine the fisti is struggling for territory in the battle with the more aggressive laeti and resi, what say ye? Be interesting to slice and dice this one, if a crying shame to fell it!

1380745544844.jpg.82b3c8ac3070d3a07183c2eac8791fa9.jpg

1380745536219.jpg.86e9ba7766ff4b9f2d97054738becf22.jpg

1380745527130.jpg.5cc68dcabbebb8f89c58cb0f1a34f1e8.jpg

1380745519510.jpg.56ae8a49a995cecbc29d3da14b462ed3.jpg

1380745502361.jpg.407288c193015340a6cebbbb139f2290.jpg

1380745493150.jpg.d7d8d9c8f5d03f265bcfd8d68c998729.jpg

David you might remember this one from last year, it had a decent rack of Laetiporous and rather plump Resinaceum down low. This year no resi and the laeti is smaller and slightly higher, though in the same vertical alignment. This year there are two small Fistulina present too, one at ground level and one up next to the laeti.

It looks as though the pore layer on the fisti has not fully developed, has anyone come across this symptom on an annual fungi before? I'd imagine the fisti is struggling for territory in the battle with the more aggressive laeti and resi, what say ye? Be interesting to slice and dice this one, if a crying shame to fell it!

ha ha ha your getting a bit nerdy! lol:lol:

that has the flavour of some of my old posts!

It certainly would be very interesting to see a series of x sections through the trunk of this one.

Get the saw sharp :thumbup:

I think one years evidence of the state of the fruiting of different species is perhaps not entirely representative of the state the ongoing battle for territory.

I find these things can fluctuate year on year and you may find that next time the fistulina either fruit completely to maturity or may not even appear.

I've noted the opposite on an occasion where fistulina fruited one year on the same region of the same host and Laetiporus didn't, where the previous year both fruited to maturity together at the same time.

But of course the situation could be as you say, and be indicative of either a reduced food volume in the areas where the fistulina are, or perhaps the result of the war between the two.

Show us again in twelve months time.........or the slices in a month :biggrin:

Have you got any close ups of the Fistulinas?

just an aged group of dryads

Thanks for your reply, do you mean Innonotus dryadeus, or dryads saddle??

To me they look too thick to be dryads saddle and I've not seen innonotus dryadeus with a stacked tierd set of brackets. If this is Innonotus dryadeus, would this be considered panicked fruiting?

Weirdly I didn't actually come to look at this tree the chap wanted his hedge cutting but asked about the oak as his office and childrens play area is beneath!!!:001_rolleyes:

cheers Tony