Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Wish I had a budget to cover an D SLR Sean.

Most of my photos are on a Sony DSC-H50, decent digital.

9mega pix & 15x dig zoom.

Don't always get the shot I want though :sad:

Here's an emerging G. resinaceum on a Red Oak from earlier today, first two today, second two from '06

Well it takes some quality photo's:thumbup1:

I'm happy with my camera....although this autumn/winter i'm going to be dragging my 1967 Fuji 690 (6x9 cm negatives) landscape camera along to the park to document all the vets, monoliths etc for a little project of mine. It's a bit of a beast though but will hopefully capture the glory of them as the picture quality is very special!

Again Ganoderma resinaceum, on another Red Oak from earlier today.

Possible I guess, that the Spheroblast at the bottom of the trunk (just below the remains of last years bracket), is stimulated by the presence of the fungi.

59765440b7b22_CopyofDSC01876.JPG.f53032abe6760c52c7ac3fbc36cdc023.JPG

59765440b2297_CopyofDSC01880.JPG.c1da4d83116dab95671494d14e6621fc.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D

Again Ganoderma resinaceum, on another Red Oak from earlier today.

Possible I quess, that the Spheroblast at the bottom of the trunk (just below the remains of last years bracket), is stimulated by the presence of the fungi.

A quick tutorial on what a spheroblast is please? Is something to do with depleted cells?

A quick tutorial on what a spheroblast is please? Is something to do with depleted cells?

Just a student meself Sean.

I'll leave the tutorials to the boffins :001_smile:

My understanding is that it's a formation evolved from parenchyma cells that are bacterially infected some how :confused1::blushing: and become the sphere of woody tissue.

I've seen this a fair bit on thin barked species like the Red Oaks & also Beech, like this one i saw at Burnham Beeches last year.

DSC01512.jpg.9d1d451e76a6b791a314d59caafcad58.jpg

DSC01511.jpg.0ffa082bfcf9cea6faefb188df5abc6e.jpg

I know them as Gonks they grow on oaks to about the size of yours david then they fall off i have got a few in my shed i thought about selling them.:001_smile:

i'm sure on ebay you'd get a few quid for them David. Although aren't you thinking about getting a lathe? They would be great for turning.