Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

3 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Collected some more yesterday and they have been sat there for 18 hours - nothing happening.

The room is very warm and the humidity is probably low. Should I be putting them somewhere else? The Fomitopsis betulina/Piptoporus betulinus isn't doing anything, nor the Gano - although thats pretty desiccated anyway.

Don’t think it’s the room temp Gary, this left a spore print overnight yesterday in a very similar environment and came in from the cold.  

079F80EC-80CA-4DE3-BF8C-57A307C21B94.thumb.jpeg.4d708b89ddb268b09dd1bee04bd631fb.jpeg

Your mushroom specimens are probably just shy?

The brackets are just perennial and not at their sporulating stage or are just spent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, ABtrees said:

I found these today on some old dead laurel trunks - sure you guys will tell me exactly what it is and its very common but I haven't a clue when it comes to fungi (in fact many things !).

20180104_141718.jpg

20180104_141648.jpg

I would think that those are the red banded polypore, Fomitopsis pinicola. If so, not very common at all on hardwood species in the UK. What's the location?

1 hour ago, David Humphries said:

I would think that those are the red banded polypore, Fomitopsis pinicola. If so, not very common at all on hardwood species in the UK. What's the location?

Thank you David - I doubt I would have ever come up with that !  The location perhaps is key I split my time between France and London.  Most of my arb issues are French !  I'm not sure on any of the legalities of doing so, but I'm back in London on Monday if you would like it (and it is legal to do so) I can bring it over, still attached, for you ???  At the moment I just left it where I found it (about 15 feet from where I'm currently sat - odd I hadn't noticed it before!). BTW there are lots more (of those and others).

1 hour ago, ABtrees said:

Thank you David - I doubt I would have ever come up with that !  The location perhaps is key I split my time between France and London.  Most of my arb issues are French !  I'm not sure on any of the legalities of doing so, but I'm back in London on Monday if you would like it (and it is legal to do so) I can bring it over, still attached, for you ???  At the moment I just left it where I found it (about 15 feet from where I'm currently sat - odd I hadn't noticed it before!). BTW there are lots more (of those and others).

Thanks for the offer, but there's no need to bring it over, we do have it here just not many records of it on broadleaves. Probably no legalities on bringing back a non protected fruit body but one should always be mindful of biosecurity, you never know what's lurking in the tubes and context layers inside the brackets.

• Like 1

Flammulina velutipes (velvet shank) on the base of a horse chestnut probably associating on the dysfunctional wood volume caused by previous bleeding canker.

image taken today (Friday the 5th day of January) at 10:45 hrs in an urban London Victorian park after a breakfast of sourdough toast, avacado, poached eggs and bacon washed down with a flat white whilst possibly wearing marks and spencer black boxers. 

image.jpeg.6e62a4f854f152748fa72014865eb16b.jpeg

image.jpeg.db0207df5ef6343b380cefdd9f5c4511.jpeg

image.jpeg.50efefaedf9819c1f35902912190c5cb.jpeg

• Haha 1