Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Ganoderma species on a London plane (we've not carried out spore sampling/measurement to determine either applanatum or australe)

First 4 images from last December, last one from earlier today.

The cut wedge clearly shows the dark brown flesh.

Interesting watching the bracket develop over the space of the year.

IMG_5163.JPG.74fdd5c3a70172b9c4220b4b0cdf046a.JPG

IMG_6542.jpg.17c4d36591d9a3f33be5b7a3d2dc4331.jpg

IMG_6535.JPG.ca1e064680ff15e89849e3688a08c69a.JPG

IMG_6534.JPG.67fb20b12e3379144834499b0e3f9352.JPG

IMG_6533.jpg.7c68005d03e270747e9b741e630d5503.jpg

...which sort of prods a question I have had in my mind for a while. Most of the Ganoderma I see is in private grounds or the tree gets chopped down, so I have never got to see what happens to a 'conk' a long while after you take a slice out of it. Is the last picture showing that the slice removed in the second picture has been replaced by new material or did you replace the slice and it has 'taken'. And/or do you think the removal of the slice 'killed' the conk? I know 'killed' is not the right term, but hopefully you get what I mean.

...which sort of prods a question I have had in my mind for a while. Most of the Ganoderma I see is in private grounds or the tree gets chopped down, so I have never got to see what happens to a 'conk' a long while after you take a slice out of it. Is the last picture showing that the slice removed in the second picture has been replaced by new material or did you replace the slice and it has 'taken'. And/or do you think the removal of the slice 'killed' the conk? I know 'killed' is not the right term, but hopefully you get what I mean.

I replaced the slice of the Ganoderma in this particular instance Jules, no real reason as to why.

Often, if the mycelium/fruit body is still active, the slice (void) can just close up when it puts on another incremental pore layer as in the Perenniporia fraxinea images (1-3) & the Fomes fomentarius images (4-5)

The Fomes shots were taken 3 years apart (2008-2011)

Yellow circle shows the original slice

IMG_5519.JPG.c07faf3136ef3c6185a53112c73552f5.JPG

DSC03765.JPG.6fed139e117f8625b041dc51954364d9.JPG

IMG_3288.jpg.970c2539a4ed07a27cec30a74c336c62.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg.21b203ed0e34ef8f709bea608a5347b4.jpg

DSC01180.JPG.7b18d930f3d7a0af24bbca670fe35d08.JPG

Out currently near Chichester, but found this on a site earlier on today in Surrey. My thinking is Armillaria.spp? thoughts please was on a False acacia and looks a little degraded didnt think was orang enough for Mellea.

Gymnopilus possibly what with it having a 'ring' and being a few rather than a clump. Would help in retrospect to see the gill structure. Perhaps not as devastating as the dreaded funny hungus though but an indicator that something is eating away at this tree base.

I replaced the slice of the Ganoderma in this particular instance Jules, no real reason as to why.

Often, if the mycelium/fruit body is still active, the slice (void) can just close up when it puts on another incremental pore layer as in the Perenniporia fraxinea images (1-3) & the Fomes fomentarius images (4-5)

The Fomes shots were taken 3 years apart (2008-2011)

Yellow circle shows the original slice

Fantastic, thanks!