Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

I wouldn't be able to say without examining it in the flesh Will.

Although, it looks to be fairly vital judging by the canopy, trees can stand (reduced) for many years with Ganoderma sp associating.

Losing the lower epicormic (albeit more aesthetic) won't actually help matters

also, when I've found Inonotus cuticularis fruiting its predominantly fruiting from a wound like in the above shots, not through the bark like Owens, no?

(again, accepted that I. hispidus does fruit from canker strips & open wounds)

Oh my old tinker, :biggrin:

Yeah i get where your coming from on all points, I think as you well know it is all to easy to have one instance warp our thinking, fungi just like throwing you a curve ball once in a while to keep you on your toes and non too cocky!

Gerrit didn't Come up witht the T.S.S.E without good cause, and if indeed your Fagus/Hispidus was 100% confirmed then a curve ball indeed, along with a one time only Inonotus dryadeus on Fagus that I witnessed and posted.

Hispidus and cuticularis are parasites, both capable of forming necroses in order to fruit, weaker in that capacity than say the Phellinus group but parasites all the same, not a word Ted would favour but nature is what it is, both also heart rots in their respective hosts.

I wouldn't disagree about the hydration limitations (boddy and Rayner) etc, and agree with the alumni (Rayner, green, Lonsdale et al) on the subject not of ultimate parasitism, but of coexistence in a fine balancing duet.

This is a beech group, and as such the likelihood is that there is a beech specific biodiversity associated herein, add to the very a typical features associated and bingo we have a pretty conclusive set of circumstances.

Think tree species specifics with curve ball possibles, not curve ball rules, one offs are rare.

597669c95fcf0_windsor218.jpg.170237e114edf414287c842a4947d9e9.jpg

597669c961c3e_windsor226.jpg.07227e5da4f0be8c63c70040b08edc3a.jpg

597669c96379b_eppinghatfield1382013008.jpg.7023884b361b9c59c8f507e3595ffdc7.jpg

597669c9651c9_epping778.jpg.953e94e051ee94db47a4762bcc4eb992.jpg

597669cce2359_epping751.jpg.ae577ee97336795b8b405990c3b7348f.jpg

Oh my old tinker, :biggrin:

Yeah i get where your coming from on all points, I think as you well know it is all to easy to have one instance warp our thinking, fungi just like throwing you a curve ball once in a while to keep you on your toes and non too cocky!

Gerrit didn't Come up witht the T.S.S.E without good cause, and if indeed your Fagus/Hispidus was 100% confirmed then a curve ball indeed, along with a one time only Inonotus dryadeus on Fagus that I witnessed and posted.

Hispidus and cuticularis are parasites, both capable of forming necroses in order to fruit, weaker in that capacity than say the Phellinus group but parasites all the same, not a word Ted would favour but nature is what it is, both also heart rots in their respective hosts.

I wouldn't disagree about the hydration limitations (boddy and Rayner) etc, and agree with the alumni (Rayner, green, Lonsdale et al) on the subject not of ultimate parasitism, but of coexistence in a fine balancing duet.

This is a beech group, and as such the likelihood is that there is a beech specific biodiversity associated herein, add to the very a typical features associated and bingo we have a pretty conclusive set of circumstances.

Think tree species specifics with curve ball possibles, not curve ball rules, one offs are rare.

Just catching up with your replies guys very useful! I'm thinking that with the clear column of decay forming in the stem here and the location of the tree I may revisit my recommendation and fell? Also re visit site to see what's going on on the tree behind which I'm sure I looked at, (think it's a trick of the camera lense and not I. Cuticularis lol! ).

Thanks again

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Arbtalk mobile app