Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

A few people have said this year is a bad year for fungi but the amount we get on here would suggest otherwise? Is it a bad year and if so - why?

I would say that the latter part of the Autumn so far (here in the Uk) has been a particularly low fruiting season Marco.

Late summer appeared to deliver heavy fruiting of certain Mycorrhizal species but it has slowed considerably.

I would suggest the lack of soil moisture is a particular part of the reason.

Not much rain down here in the south east.

I understand that lots of local forays have been fruitless or even abondoned.

D

Mark,

Was it attached to the wood or laying on top and free from it ? If it was free, it might be "star jelly" or heron's or polecat's vomit after they have been eating (female : Falopian tubes) frogs.

I heard about this 'phenomenon' on one of the british radio stations last week Gerrit.

Not something I had been aware of previously.

Apparantly it's dissapointed a number of keen ufo enthusiasts who were hopeful of a more 'Extraterrestrial' explanation :001_rolleyes:

I would say that the latter part of the Autumn so far (here in the Uk) has been a particularly low fruiting season. I would suggest the lack of soil moisture is a particular part of the reason. Not much rain down here in the south east.

In The Netherlands, there have been two periods of fruiting, end of July untill the end of August (especially ectomycorrhizal symbionts) and the past two weeks of October.

And apart from lack of soil moisture, mycelia of terrestial macrofungi don't fruit when a drying wind "hits" the forest floor.

I've often watched mycelia sticking up tiny white, yellow or red flags to test the dryness caused by wind before they decided to start fruiting :001_rolleyes::lol: .

a photo of Daedalea quercina on a dead stump of oak infected with the mycelium of Hypomyces rosellus causing a pinkish to purplish staining of the bracket surface.

---

Yesterday, I found several brackets of Daedalea quercina infected with the pink to purple mycelium of Hypomyces rosellus.

---

Hypomyces-rosellus-D.-querc.jpg.24e33010247c2704243441c306834166.jpg