Work experience and the law?

Rik

Been asked by my girlfriends youger brother if i could take him fpr a weeks work experience from college... Now its something ive never even thought about before so have no idea what loopholes i need to jump through or what the law says etc, im sure ill be able to find out easy enough on the net, just wondering if anyone else has ever done it and if there anything i should consider or if i should avoid completely etc.. Insurance/qualification/crb etc etc.. Any thoughts much appreciated as always. :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What law would that be?

Dont injure him, or else he will be injured.

CRB ?? Are you worried you might fiddle with him or vice versa?

YOu know you cant let him do anything other than drag and watch so whats the problem?

The problem rupe ent any of that.. I just know that whenever u work with anyone under the age of 18 that here are always a billion things u seem to have to comply with, forms for this forms for that, common sense ent worth jack nowardays remember. I just wanna be covered.

Can you not speak to the college? As id of thought they would have to do some sort of check with the companies the boys and girls want to work for, and as above they drag and watch, i the trees big enough we sometimes let them go up with us, for the climb and to do something different. O and to provide them with the right ppe

Edited by Dan Earp

thats what i would really like is to actually get him in the tree climbing (not to actually do anything but just for the experience) i'll get onto the college today and see what they come up with. i had a look through my insurance stuff and i should be insured for it, so we'll go from there :)

The college will have their own risk assessment - or if they don't they bloody well should have - for sending people on work experience. This may well include something about CRB (DBS now) checks, but that's for them to worry about. I'm pretty sure that you are not required by law to be checked.

The problem rupe ent any of that.. I just know that whenever u work with anyone under the age of 18 that here are always a billion things u seem to have to comply with, forms for this forms for that, common sense ent worth jack nowardays remember. I just wanna be covered.

Yes, I know I was being a bit flippant, but CRB checks are done before allowing external adult to come into contact with monors that you are responsible for, you dont need to be checked before you allow minors to come and do work experience for you, thats crazy!!

As said above if the college sent them out on WE then maybe they we get CRB checks done on the people they are being sent to just to make sure, because the college has that responsiblity over them. Same as they woudl check any tutors etc that worked for them.

But this is your gf's brother for gods sake! Why do you need to be checked? And why would you go and have yourself checked? Surely you know if your dodgy so who are you protecting and from who?

If yo have some wrong uns working with you then get them checked if you want and see how well that goes down!

But this is your gf's brother for gods sake! Why do you need to be checked? And why would you go and have yourself checked? Surely you know if your dodgy so who are you protecting and from who?

It's about the college covering themselves - they don't know the OP from Adam so they might ask. In my experience though, they don't. It's just not practical as the risks are relatively low and it's hard enough to find companies to offer places, without putting extra obstacles and delays in the way.

Yes I agree that the college might ask, but the OP has been asked by his gf not through the college, so he can give him work experience or not its up to him.

No ones going to come along and say he shouldn't.

He can write an RA if he wants but he doesn't have to, he can check his EL covers work experience if he wants but he doesn't have to. He knows he must not let the lad injure himself so as long as he makes sure that doesnt happen then all well, and if a RA helps him not have any incidences then all well and good do a risk assessment.