Oak decay

Dave177

Question

Hopefully I have attached the pictures right today.

Went to look at this in my aunts garden today and not quite sure how to proceed. Its a fair sized Oak, the Crown looks full and well shaped, its lost a major limb off one side previously and the resulting damage has caused dead tissue around the wound.

In the base of the stem are signs of decay in at least 2 locations and a third spreading up a crack to about 6ft in height. There is also a large bulge also around the 6ft mark.

There were some some fungal brackets at the base but they were removed to "kill" the fungus my my uncle :lol:

They want to keep the tree but at the same time dont want to risk damaging their property or the road.

Any ideas what I should tell them to do, I was thinking getting someone in to do a detailed assesment to check the extent of decay in the stem or doesnt it look too bad/is it not work the expense?

Cheers guys

HPIM0038.jpg.4e9e4271b005a6d9536a35b210897f59.jpg

HPIM0039.jpg.88307216f75d22bbd47790baebc514ab.jpg

HPIM0040.jpg.1eb8a128a789e6bfdc55172a9de65b66.jpg

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Perhaps you missed the christmas raffle Tony, or the countless other positive threads littered throughout the forum. Maybe you are just referring to the threads you are posting in? Sorry, but I can't say I feel this negative vibe throughout the forum that you mention, and it's something I keep an eye on all the time :001_smile:

Anyway perhaps we can get back to the topic in hand without all this nonsense :thumbup1:

Steve, if you cant see the difference between my posts in this thread to jonny, and his posts to me I guess you wouldnt. I am not denying this forum does some very posative things, but my personal experience of this forum is that certain individuals get away with far too much.

had i made a post akin to Jonnies blatant insult/attack I would have received a few strong warnings.

now I am all too aware ive had my own moments with members of this forum, and made a complete tit of myself, but that is history and i have learned from my mistakes (I hope:biggrin:)

So for me this is a double standard, and an acceptance by yourself and Mr Sorenson of what was for me personally a rather undue and unfair personal dig, with a re iteration from tony I guess is no surprise.

I have for the record always maintained that I am no academic, and not even in possession of the most basic quals, therefore my opinion is therefore just that, and people are entitled to take it or leave it. To be so fragrantly insulted on forum "There is plenty more miss-information and claptrap in that functional iliterate cess pit of 16000+ posts if you care to read a few (if you are able of course)" and to see MY name mentioned in a moderators retort with no mention to the poster of such an uncalled for personal "jibe" is highly revealing, to all I might add.

I may have asked some difficult questions of Jonny, may have even been a bit sarcastic, but downright insulting?

Ive even asked Jonny (whoever he is) privately what his beef is with me in th hope of extending an olive branch, no reply as yet.

At the end of the day, I couldn't care less about what effect this has all had on my status (which is laughable and entirely a fiction in this cyber space environment) But what I do care about is that 16000 posts of time, a great deal of time and effort with many superb and unique photos, have been basically wiped out as a total complete and utter waste of mine and everyone else's time, with no arguments from two mods, yourself and Mr S.

Jonny still has not replied to the question as to how many scenarios relevant to this OP's question/scenrio he has encountered, I felt it was worthy of an ask as he was so involved in the thread without actualy offering substance to the situation, only attacks on others trying (if poorly) to assist the OP.

I would like to think my posts regarding the scenario where helpfull, all "jibes" between myself and others aside.

I have felt VERY unwelcome around here for some time, and to come in and have another go after dealing with my own "AT" ( I got too involved, with sincere and good intention) demons only to end up here again within a day or two just confirms my feelings regarding the very real fact that i seem to have become more a pain and a burden to the forum, rather than a blessing, that feels like negativity to me.

I edited my original response - Steve pointed out to me that it was a little partisan. Clearly I should have done this more promptly (or ideally in my head before I posted) but hey. Apologies if you feel singled out Tony.

As for others getting away with insults; give me ten minutes and I can find similar statements made by you to other members - Treeseer for example. You get what you give... bit like karma.

Not wanting to step on anyone's toes or give myself a "big hed", these are just photos. Although we have the knowledge in relation to a symptom, the OP asked about this tree in particular.

I think its best (IMO) if he were to get someone close to him to look at it "in the flesh", if someone could do it for a favour, then all the better. If not, then i'm sure it wouldn't be the biggest fee at all....

Till then as i said, take my opinion with a pinch of salt but the tree is fine for the short term:biggrin:

I concur. All I can see from the images is that the tree has a different form to what I would expect a 'normal' Oak to look like. That warrants further investigation - until then we have no idea if it needs pruning, felling or reiterative distal tissue annihilation...

I edited my original response - Steve pointed out to me that it was a little partisan. Clearly I should have done this more promptly (or ideally in my head before I posted) but hey. Apologies if you feel singled out Tony.

As for others getting away with insults; give me ten minutes and I can find similar statements made by you to other members - Treeseer for example. You get what you give... bit like karma.

agreed

I concur. All I can see from the images is that the tree has a different form to what I would expect a 'normal' Oak to look like. That warrants further investigation - until then we have no idea if it needs pruning, felling or reiterative distal tissue annihilation...

could you elaborate "reiterative distal tissue annihilation" for us more linguistically/academically challenged folks?

I'm not sure a single word can be ambiguous?

Lacking in detail-yes, no one was giving a specification though.

"remodeling of crown architecture" - now that could be considered ambiguous.

I deal with bills of quantity, derived from landscape architects plans, on a daily basis. Prune trees tends to be a bit ambiguous.

Remodeling of crown architecture, in the context of this thread, seems somewhat clearer to me.

I've a feeling that we're not going to reach common ground on this, so I'll respectfully leave the last word for you.