Tuning a saw

Hodge

I really want to be able to tune my own saws, I have a good mechanical knowledge as I many moons ago I trained as a mechanic, I just don't know where to get the right information from, there are so many articles on the web. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Reading the Stihl "Carburetors" manual (PDF, 65 pages) will give you a good idea about how the different type of (Stihl) carburetors work and how to adjust and repair them. Lots of illustrations.

Send me a PM if you need a copy. I don't think making it publicly available is "on".

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys! I'm gonna have a look for Husqvarnas specs, I wanna do my 346 and my 372. I just wanna check there right.

I would recommend a tach to get the high speed tuning right, 346XPs rev up to around 14,700rpm in standard trim and tuning by ear isn't that easy on such a high revving saw plus you have the complications of limited coils on later machines.

The 372 tops out at 13,500 rpm - both should idle at 2,700 rpm and the chain shouldn't spin!

Standard carb settings are 1 turn out on the H&L srews on both!

There is another thread on tachs that I was posting on last night!

I would recommend a tach to get the high speed tuning right, 346XPs rev up to around 14,700rpm in standard trim and tuning by ear isn't that easy on such a high revving saw plus you have the complications of limited coils on later machines.

The 372 tops out at 13,500 rpm - both should idle at 2,700 rpm and the chain shouldn't spin!

Standard carb settings are 1 turn out on the H&L srews on both!

There is another thread on tachs that I was posting on last night!

Cheers spud, I ordered the tach today from the company suggested. Thanks for the info.

Cheers spud, I ordered the tach today from the company suggested. Thanks for the info.

Ah - that must have been your thread then - Doh:blushing:

While you are waiting for the tach, take a look at the colour of your coils, if they are blue then they are limited and your tuning method needs changing a little.

If they are black, just use the tach to reach within 500rpm of max revs!

And just another bit of wisdom.

I guess your saws are running and useable at the moment and you just want to make sure they are on peak performance.

If this is the case then you will be looking at very small adjustments, probably only a few degrees of rotation. Mark your adjustment tool with some tipex and relate that to something on the saw before you move it, so you know where to go back to if needed. (or make a card disc with degrees marked and push your tool through the centre)