Chain sharpening

adam_coverdale

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the others that you really should learn how to sharpen your own chains.

In my opinion the easiest (and possibly cheapest) sharpening is done using this file-holder (available in many brands - Oregon, Stihl etc).

oregon-file-holder-and-file.jpg

Any brand will do, but be sure to get a set with a file diameter that matches your chain type (typically 3/8" Low Profile/Picco, 0.325", 3/8").

These sets are widely available, even online from one of the site sponsors: Chain sharpening tools

Have a read here for further details: Chain sharpening

I can also recomment reading the Oregon Maintenance & Safety Manual for Saw Chain, Guide Bars, and Drive Sprockets

Edited by morten

I think he is trying to tell you morten that although your advice is very usefull to the op, that the thread has turned into a urm how should I put this...... Homeo erotic dream for the arbtalk techies..... :lol:.

But I think morten is on the money and the thread needs to get back on track.

Let us know the outcome of your date spud and Adam...

I think he is trying to tell you morten that although your advice is very usefull to the op, that the thread has turned into a urm how should I put this...... Homeo erotic dream for the arbtalk techies..... :lol:.

But I think morten is on the money and the thread needs to get back on track.

Let us know the outcome of your date spud and Adam...

Of course Morten is correct and anyone in the field or lightly sharpening chains after a days use will use this type of kit.

Not sure how much Adam uses saws or the state of the chains, sometimes they get mullered, sometimes they need bringing back to spec and when large amounts of metal need removing, a grinder is very efficient when used correctly.

I will give Adam a few tips if he is interested and suggest the kit he may use if he hand sharpens his chains and go from there.

Some are just not interested in hand sharpening, some purchase new chains to avoid it - and some just shag a number of them and then get them all reground - it's the owners choice!