Ocean Polyester

Highland Forestry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again.

I've now tried the Ocean P. out. I think it is too stiff, and it often fails to grab. I use a 10mm o.p. on a 11mm Samson Velocity line. Used the o.p. for two days and then went back to my old 10mm soft heat, wich is very reliably compared to the o.p. I use a 4 wrap vt. prusik.

What is your experiences? Does it help to use another knot or....?

Ive tried the ocean polyester quite a bit but i find it terrifying,some times it holds and sometimes it doesn't. Top and bottom of it is i just dont trust it,always go back to the yale bee line. The armor prus sounds very interesting though anyone know who supplies it over here?

hi.

i have used the ocean polyester and have been mixed with the results i have found from it. on some set ups i have found it to not grab like i would expect it to (vt 4 up and 2 down). and on others i have found it to be to grippy where i have found jumping and opening up the hitch quite difficult (vt 4 up 3 down). this doesnt leave much room for variety between the two other than really being techy with leg lengths which to be honest is something i have really done.

all of my hitches have been used with the hitch climber which if u are thinking of bying is definately worth the investment if u are in to that sort of thing. the big plus i do have with the op is i have been amazed by how long it lasts i used a piece for many months with out changing it and was surprised when i changed it that i was actually quite happy to still climb on it.

yes it is expensive but its like all things u get what u pay for some will argue this point till blue in the teeth but i like to try new gear and have no problems with spending money and higly rate op and when i think about other cords that would have to be replaced then i think u can save money by using it especially if u dont do jumps and open the hitch up and generate massive amounts of heat.

i was also made aware that the op we have on the market at the moment is not the correct design and is actually stiffer than the one that was meant to be released. im not sure why this is but i can only imagine crossed wires or a mess up and the factory. but this is all hear say and can not be taken as fact.

as for the armor prussic i have not personally used it but have been with people who have and they enjoy it for the first few climbs until it gathers every piece of dust and gunk in site and then doesnt perform as it should but this is only a review from the three people i have climbed with who have used it. it may perform well in other applications such as foot locking but have gaged some bad replies about it as a hitch cord in the main line climbing role.

my personal choice is beeline as someone above has said i relly enjoy climbing on it and does everything i want it to do and does it well but as with all of these things it is not a cheap way to go but if money is a huge issue maybe this isnt the right job when safety is paramount and other cords can burn out 20times quicker than the more heat tolerant ones on the market.

i also think it ios very dependant on what line u are climbing on i have found cords that work well on one line are no good on others and have had to change things around this is a minor point but i like to have the right tool for the job and like it to work well so some times it is better to have different hitches in the kit bag for different line set ups (pine ropes are a good example)

these are just thoughts and opinions but hope some of it helps u. i apologise for the shabby punctuation and grammar but it is sunday.

jarnii

Think they are the dogs furry rear endy bits, along with hitch climbers and a swivel "OH YES). I use two different lengths, 0.9m and 1.1m. Have two different combos on two or three of my ropes, they really start making the differnence when you start v rigging etc. Its all aboooot adaptation.