Land rover 300tdi large intercooler any good

mendiplogs

No mate, its just a comment on the human condition, give someone more horsepower and watch them use it.

When I said "you" I meant the world at large, including me

Ah cool makes sense now ! :)

~Yes we get the classic when we do remaps for people will it improve the MPG the answer is yes if you drive with the better lowdown torque and use the gears better but your probably going to blat it around with a large smile on your face !

Classic human nature as you say.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah cool makes sense now ! :)

~Yes we get the classic when we do remaps for people will it improve the MPG the answer is yes if you drive with the better lowdown torque and use the gears better but your probably going to blat it around with a large smile on your face !

Classic human nature as you say.

HI MATE im going for a large intercooler then do you make them thanks can i up the turbo boost 4/5psi or half a bar thanks jon :thumbup:

HI TREE sorry mate but i think your out of line have you had a chiped or remaped land rover i have off j fern with 200 hp it cost £900 and i think that was £900 well spent thanks jon :thumbup:

Yeah but that will be a td5 which will be controlled by a computer and will be easier to control different aspects of the engine tuning easier. With the 300s you can't just plug it in press a few buttons and away you go. The VNT kits are £1500+ fitting, decent intercooler another 500, your looking at spending nearly double the value of some vehicles just to make it go a bit faster or respond to your heavy foot quicker. I'm yet to do any major changes to my 300 and will probably just clean out the intercooler instead of spending £300+ on something that will do the same thing. If its a work vehicle and you can afford to spend the money because it will benefit the job fair enough I agree with that. But if its a quoting bus that might see some work every now and again then I can't see any reason in splurging cash that won't make a return on itself.

If I start messing with the injection pump ill be getting it done properly as that will give me some gain without risking blowing head gaskets and frying pistons. I only want a bit more poke. Helping it breathe better by better air filter and clean intercooler have benefits but no need for big expensive shiny bits.

HI TREE sorry mate but i think your out of line have you had a chiped or remaped land rover i have off j fern with 200 hp it cost £900 and i think that was £900 well spent thanks jon :thumbup:

Out of line?

Jon you like your horsepower, that’s clear so you were only looking for "yes mate crack on" as an answer.

My land rovers have (nearly) always been workers and I have always accepted the engine for what it is and does.

I use mine daily with a stock engine and I could add any number of power upgrades and it still wouldn’t earn me any more so I think they would be a waste of money so I stand by a lot of money for not a lot of gain.

How many extra loads of logs can you get out in a day with a 200 hp motor against a stock one, notwithstanding the extra wear and tare on the vehicle that its designer didn’t see fit to subject it to?

You been having trouble with UJ's lately?

So go on then, where are these large intercoolers for one and a half?

I'd like to see them too. The stock ones are adequate. Why would LR put one in that's not good enough.

As long as the people who designed the sunroofs were kept well away from designing anything under the bonnet I'm happy.

Out of line?

Jon you like your horsepower, that’s clear so you were only looking for "yes mate crack on" as an answer.

My land rovers have (nearly) always been workers and I have always accepted the engine for what it is and does.

I use mine daily with a stock engine and I could add any number of power upgrades and it still wouldn’t earn me any more so I think they would be a waste of money so I stand by a lot of money for not a lot of gain.

How many extra loads of logs can you get out in a day with a 200 hp motor against a stock one, notwithstanding the extra wear and tare on the vehicle that its designer didn’t see fit to subject it to?

You been having trouble with UJ's lately?

HI MATE in one way your right but on my TD5 we had no trouble with UJS they were ok thanks jon

I'd like to see them too. The stock ones are adequate. Why would LR put one in that's not good enough.

As long as the people who designed the sunroofs were kept well away from designing anything under the bonnet I'm happy.

HI ROB i no it sound mad but I've seen it on ebay for £150 they will do the job ok I've spent £1000 on my old TD5 TUNE UP there on ebay we will see if they do the job thanks jon :thumbup:

Yeah but that will be a td5 which will be controlled by a computer and will be easier to control different aspects of the engine tuning easier. With the 300s you can't just plug it in press a few buttons and away you go. The VNT kits are £1500+ fitting, decent intercooler another 500, your looking at spending nearly double the value of some vehicles just to make it go a bit faster or respond to your heavy foot quicker. I'm yet to do any major changes to my 300 and will probably just clean out the intercooler instead of spending £300+ on something that will do the same thing. If its a work vehicle and you can afford to spend the money because it will benefit the job fair enough I agree with that. But if its a quoting bus that might see some work every now and again then I can't see any reason in splurging cash that won't make a return on itself.

If I start messing with the injection pump ill be getting it done properly as that will give me some gain without risking blowing head gaskets and frying pistons. I only want a bit more poke. Helping it breathe better by better air filter and clean intercooler have benefits but no need for big expensive shiny bits.

Rob it depends where anfd who you go to the VNT kits from one company are that yes the last one we fitted we sourced all parts direct cuting out midle men and with the fitting and proper tuning including digital EGT unit was the same price as the kit is from others !

Have you driven a 300 that has been VNT'ed ? the difference is astonishing! Our 130 as said is a work vehicle it spends most of its working life going full weight with an ifor full weight behind so 7000kgs all up tacho etc and this conversion/ modification means that when towing etc your not stuck in the slow lane with wagons going past you your up with them and makes for a much smoother less stress full drive !

The fuel consumtion is next to no different to when it was standard as the extra torque helps and the fueling is dictated by the max EGT which you have to keep below 720 degrees this is then where you have the larger intercoolers etc !

Its all down to what you want to achieve we fitted a VNT to a 200tdi 90 for a customer whos turbo had come to its end of life and yes in normal life it would be overkill but the customer wanted it so he got it !

The 90 does go well lol !

Like everything its a compromise ! if you look back to Pre tdi engines they all had full width radiators so what did Landrover doo when the wanted an intercooler and higher horsepower engine ? Fit a smaller rad and stick the intercooler next to it !

What do they do now use full width rads and full width intercoolers ?

99% of vehicles are compromises !

The Td5 engine was ment to be part of a set of three a Td4 which we have in the freelander the Td5 and a Td6 but BMW pushed the Td6 out and brought forward the deployment of the Td5 early this is widely thought to be some of the reason that the early ones had "issues" due to lack of extensive testing !