Drying your ropes..

Acg128

When washing your ropes, you can prevent them from tangling up by doubling the rope twice, and then daisy-chaining the entire length.

Daisy chaining the rope while it dries also helps the drying process, as it ensures that air can freely circulate as the is not bunched-up.

When dailychained this way, a rope will be about 1/20th of the length of the rope itself (depending on how tight you leave the daisy chains).

See [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75XNCMKW7XE]How to daisychain a climbing rope | Arborist knot tying - YouTube[/ame] (skip the annoying 40 second disclaimer/intro)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you found this to work well, Reddog? After the soaking I had this week I'm willing to try it out if it works well!

Cheers

Yes the two I know of are used to dry harnesses and gear for sled dogs. When visiting I have put my wet Logging cloths and boots in and they where always dry after 8 hours even when full of wet dog gear.

They both are walk-in boxes 8'long 4' wide and 6' tall with one end being the door.

The inside is sealed and painted and the door has weather stripping to help it seal. Both have polystyrene insulation/blue foam on the out side to help insulate them as they are in un-heated space in -C temps.

We messed around and put a electric space heater in along with the dehumidifier and set it to hold a 28-29C temp and things dried even quicker. But that only seems to be needed when the dehumidifier alone can't keep the box above 10C.

Both are running 80+ pint dehumidifier units so that would be 37+ liter sizing.

They are run at max fan and the lowest humidity setting. Both are set up to drain the water to an out side drain, other wise the machines shut off when full of water.

Most times they are still running in the morning, but everything is dry to the touch.

The big thing is loading the wet gear as soon as you can so it has the most time to dry before the next day.

As to figuring the liters on a unit needed. Weight your gear dry and then when wet and figure out how much water it holds.

If you are figuring a 8hour dry time take the units rating of how many liters per 24hour period and divide by 3. Then get a unit that will draw slightly more water in that 8 hour period than your gear will hold. I am not against over sizing the unit some as it will shut off when the humidity setting is reached.

Also the more freely your gear can hang, open to more dry air in the box the more efficient it can operate.

A good and cheap way to safely dry equipment, is to construct a drying chamber from a metal wardrobe cabinet/locker, cut a hole in the top and bottom plates, and use a small industrial heater to provide a forced downward airflow of 30-40°C (thermostat controlled) air past the clothing/ropes etc that hang inside.

Lockers can be bought cheaply second hand.