Ropetek sidewinder

Ewan Murray

• 2 months later...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should make a mini version to hold the standard 3m lanyard length

With only 3m of rope, why use a retractor? The Sidewinder is designed for long lanyards, in particular for the guys who climb SRT and use longer lanyards.

The inventor Paul Cox is an SRT man.

Fabulous piece of kit I reckon.

With only 3m of rope, why use a retractor? The Sidewinder is designed for long lanyards, in particular for the guys who climb SRT and use longer lanyards.

Huh? How is a long lanyard only for srt boys? been using a ditty bag and 10m line with cinch for several years now, also used to srt work position but never really made the transition as DRT work with srt access works very nicely for me.

Sidewinders come with 15' of 10mm Bee Line and a Trango Cinch adjuster and cost $150. Shipping to UK is $24

So about £115 for the whole package

And is available now Ropetek

Sent using fones4hobbits

Edited by Dan Earp

Except what Paul has done is start from scratch and made something that will put up with the rigours of what we do. Here's a good thread on The Treehouse about it and I've put my name down for the first one when they come out in a few months.

SO much better than having the lanyard trailing around and wrapping round legs and saw.

Hardly built from scratch, Paul admitted in the other thread that it is completely put together from off the shelf components that he purchases.

Not built to withstand the rigors of tree work, and if it does , I would consider yourself lucky.

One guy already broke the spring ? IMHO it wouldnt survive my gearbox. The first time junior droppped the tirfor on my saddle it would be toast. If it cannot survive the gear box I cannot use it.

Now before y'all freak out, Im not knocking Mr Cox, he is open about this, but people shouldnt be harboring the illusion this is a made for trees bit of gear, its a standard cord winder simply stuffed with Beeline and strapped on a harness.

Just google 'retractable cord reel' .

Edited by Grais

I use a short lanyard most the time and normally if theres something nearby attach a temp anchor to reduce the length of fall.

:thumbup1: