double rope progression from prussik??

jnoon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What didn't you like about the hitchclimber mate?

In response to the OP I'd say the distel is a good knot to go for next, plus you now have some good pics of it. I have my lockjack on my 45m line and switch between a VT/Distel with a hitch climber on my short rope for the smaller trees.

If your a confident climber than by all means try the vt, just be very careful with it and get into the habit of making sure the knot is set before you sit back into it or jump off branches.

Few bits that put me off and made me change back:

my hitch would sometimes get caught under the top krab and this would make the hitch not grab. often happend when footlocking. would never fall far just slows progress.

The top krab is right infront of the hitch and i use a short hitch. just getting in the way.

When i ascend using drt and i have my groundy pull the slack out the line so im just climbing hand over hand it made it hard to get good arms length of rope as the top krab would get in my way as opposed to being clipped into my bridge and out the way.

Good hitchclimber comments

When i want to throw my climbing line through a Crotch instead of climbing through it i only have to unclip on krab which is attached to my bridge as opposed to using a fixed cheek pulley as i have to clip one krab to another then throw it over a crotch and clip them and clip back into myself.

With just a fixed cheek you have to keep an eye on your krabs as they often end up in weird positions.

each to there own i guess, hitch climber is just gavering dust at the moment in my kitbag. Im sure it will find a new purpose one day :001_smile:

Arran

So I tied the distel yesterday with the added pulley, the krab used on bridge was a petzl ok, and with both ends of distel and pulley on one krab it seemed a bit tight. When I threw rope over I had to put the double figure of eight on another krab. :confused1:, I liked how it worked but the krabs kept sliding together and it felt a bit busy, would like to see how other people use it.

Needless to say after first two elms were on the deck I went back to the trusty old prussik.

So I tied the distel yesterday with the added pulley, the krab used on bridge was a petzl ok, and with both ends of distel and pulley on one krab it seemed a bit tight. When I threw rope over I had to put the double figure of eight on another krab. :confused1:, I liked how it worked but the krabs kept sliding together and it felt a bit busy, would like to see how other people use it.

Needless to say after first two elms were on the deck I went back to the trusty old prussik.

You need an wider karabiner if your gonna use that pulley that's why people use a hitchclimber or pinto, it makes everything neater, also a splice on the rope makes it less bulky! but with the kit your using I would invest in a hitchclimber pulley that should be all you need to get over the problem