How many Arbtalkers are AA members

jaime bray

Hi Jaime

I think your recent proactiveness with us lot is great and complements Pauls’ work very nicely.

You are raising good stuff.

I’m liking it and you have my support.

But the AA don't do this:

"And I have to add, that being given the opportunity to try and asssit the AA, through the AWG in maintaining, developing and promoting good arboriculture, is a privilege for me."

This is well established and I refer you to my earlier post and Pauls' (AA Techies') answer to it.

Haha, That was de ja vu for me, similiar lines to the one i posed to the AA two years ago in a meeting i got invited to too give my opinion of the industry and how the AA can assist in the enhancement of it for all; trees,employers, employees and the general public, or should we say the consumer of the green infrastrucutre we preserve and care for. lol

I got asked to put my money where my mouth was as I was full of you dont do this you dont do that. As they say 'if you want to know, me go on holiday with me' believe me, its not until you get involved with the AA that you realise the loops that they have to jump through and the work that goes on behind the scenes. It relentless and to be fair relies heavily on volunteer resources.

I personally think the industry would be a poorer one without the AA. As with all organisations of this nature volunteer resources are key.... Shall i put you down to attend the next AWG volunteer meeting albedo.... Go on Go on Go on... would you like a cuppa tea now father!!!!!!

Just a quick question; How many paid staff do you think the AA has?

This really should be a thread on its own as it shocked me to find out!!!!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, That was de ja vu for me, similiar lines to the one i posed to the AA two years ago in a meeting i got invited to too give my opinion of the industry and how the AA can assist in the enhancement of it for all; trees,employers, employees and the general public, or should we say the consumer of the green infrastrucutre we preserve and care for. lol

I got asked to put my money where my mouth was as I was full of you dont do this you dont do that. As they say 'if you want to know, me go on holiday with me' believe me, its not until you get involved with the AA that you realise the loops that they have to jump through and the work that goes on behind the scenes. It relentless and to be fair relies heavily on volunteer resources.

I personally think the industry would be a poorer one without the AA. As with all organisations of this nature volunteer resources are key.... Shall i put you down to attend the next AWG volunteer meeting albedo.... Go on Go on Go on... would you like a cuppa tea now father!!!!!!

Just a quick question; How many paid staff do you think the AA has?

This really should be a thread on its own as it shocked me to find out!!!!

What's the AWG?:001_smile:

It's just Paul and his dog innit?...on the payroll:001_smile:

Edit: Where you going on holiday, I might take you up on that....anywhere good:001_smile:

Edited by Albedo

yes, and the membership renewal is top of my christmas wish list this year!

Mine too, but be sure to get the upgraded membership versions available if you desire the 'post nominals' after your name that your qualifications allow for you, as with all the recent changes to the education system and tooing and throwing of grade levels some may not be eligible in the long term.

I was looking at M.Arbor.A now that the wretched PD Arb has been dealt with, especially as my domestic customers often made reference to my N.D. Arb nominals, and some took comfort in the fact that id studied my trade rather than just stumbled into it, they often refer to it as my clear passion for trees which puts them at ease with my potential services and a few more initials may bolster that.

Its all about first impressions in my opinion, and like it or not, the world does still like to see people that have qualifications.

P.S. In no way am i saying that people without qualifications are lesser arborists than me, the above opinion is purely based on how my customers respond to me when we converse which in turn influenced my decision to further my academic knowledge of arboriculture. I will never be the world champion at pole climbing, branch walking or speed climbing, but i love the job, and thats what matters at the end of the day. Blah blah blah......

My first years membership is coming to a end and i will be renewing i enjoy the magazines the discount on courses and also this year got a invite to take a walk round derby arboretum with the midlands group which although i had never met anyone there was very welcoming and i didnt fell out of place even got asked to the boozer after there were a mix of people there from consultants to tree officers and contractors i would recommend becoming a member if you love trees its just another way to learn more.

My first years membership is coming to a end and i will be renewing i enjoy the magazines the discount on courses and also this year got a invite to take a walk round derby arboretum with the midlands group which although i had never met anyone there was very welcoming and i didnt fell out of place even got asked to the boozer after there were a mix of people there from consultants to tree officers and contractors i would recommend becoming a member if you love trees its just another way to learn more.

Sounds like you are of the same mindset as me then. I think there should be more branch interaction, I know that the south east branch is considerably active and its members receive a great deal of assistance.

Yeah i was reading about the rigging awarness course (technical rigging ) that they did down south would be good to get something like that arranged up this way !

Its on the radar for it be rolled out like the BS3998 workshops were.

I drove down to the wakehurst place dayearlier this year and it was great. loved it and learnt loads. Very reasonable cost too.

No

- like yourself Jaime, at the offset of my career in the early 90's, I agree that the AA, (with membership and/or accreditation thereof), were was seen as the pinnacle of the industry in the Uk, and aspired to "one day" join the rank and file within.

But like it or not, towards the end of the 90's through the early 00's, the industry in this country changed.

- We had the arrival on these shores of the NAA (as it was- now TCIA), and then the ISA., resulting in an influx of new methods, ideas, kit etc.

- with the arrival of the PUWER, WAHR, LOLER etc, the practical (contracting) side of the industry had the increasing changes and implementation in H&S practices.

- there was the rise of the golden "pound" within education, and more and more colleges jumping on the band wagon and offering (attempts) at arb quals (or rather "do a short course NPTC and you can become a "tree surgeon"), thus leading to an increase in the number of smaller companies as competency certs became the norm, and minimal requirement for lower level academic quals.

- there was the demise of the "local authority approved" lists, and the introduction of schemes like CHAS, Construction Line, NHSS, etc

- there was the increase in "a.n.other" magazines and publications that have continued to grow towards the Arb arm of the trees and timber industry, and create a clearer divide between Arb and Forestry.

The list goes on, resulting in a LOT of very significant changes to an already still fairly juvenile industry.

And for most, throughout that extremely formative period, the AA weren't visible. They weren't seen by the grass roots level, of being there, in the thick of it, "leading the industry".

And in my humble opinion, I still think that the AA is stuck with the mindset under which it was created. For the academics. For the tree officers that were, back in the day, looking for a way of being able to employ contractors (including making money off them through membership/accreditation).

The problem being, that the industry has moved on. The AAAC tag is not a prerequisite to work like it used to be. As an employer of contractors nowadays myself as an LA tree officer, I pay no attention (nor am I even allowed to) as to whether a contractor or consultant is accredited or even holds membership. It's simply irrelevant.

And as the industry has progressed, so have the individuals. I've managed, like the rest, to grow. To progress. And I've managed that without those once magical little letters after my name. .

Would take a lot to convince me these days that I now, or will ever need them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk