foreign nationals

the hedge man

I fell on bad times in the mid nineties (i won't say anymore) I got myself back on my feet by going to work in Spain (took the peseta) and ran. When i got back there was still no work in Stoke-on-Trent so i moved south where there was work....Why would we/they not move to where the work/money is ?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all each to there own and the devil take the hindmost sort of thing but is there not a balance ? Tipping point ? Have heard at the local tools and machinery auctions up here that they are just completely swamped by foreign nationals and that they take ' the front ' positions quite aggressively at times . This kit invariably is going overseas and local lads seem to be losing out ..

I'm all each to there own and the devil take the hindmost sort of thing but is there not a balance ? Tipping point ? Have heard at the local tools and machinery auctions up here that they are just completely swamped by foreign nationals and that they take ' the front ' positions quite aggressively at times . This kit invariably is going overseas and local lads seem to be losing out ..

Tell the locals to step up to the mark then! or get in the export game.

Ther is one thing I can't figure out.

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything but....

They can do the work cheap. Fine if they can then so be it, they can work on minimum wage and live off it. (In my area they seem to have big BMW cars) I know I couldn't live on it.

But I want to know how they can manage it...

I think they just budget better Rich, food, fuel etc costs them the same as it costs us.:blushing:

Bearing in mind many of them still send money home too.

In construction there is a very tight tax system, so they can't be dodging tax.

We all notice lots of foreigners working, but I can't say I've ever noticed the same proportion in the pub every night!

If the kit is going abroad at least foreigners aren't using it over here to under cut every one. So they are bringing money into the country and paying over the odds (more than any one else at the auction) and still they get twined about. If you could import a great chipper from Europe and save a fortune would you worry about the other people?

If the kit is going abroad at least foreigners aren't using it over here to under cut every one. So they are bringing money into the country and paying over the odds (more than any one else at the auction) and still they get twined about. If you could import a great chipper from Europe and save a fortune would you worry about the other people?

Yes i would be extremely worried at a German chipper auction full of Scots and no Germans for example

Good luck to ya! I'm sick of hearing that "our jobs" are being taken by people who are coming in from Europe. there is plenty of work out there if we want it! you only have to check out silkyfox's thread.

Yes , agreed inspirational thread from silky but you seem to have overlooked other recent threads ? Thing is the auction for example wont be discussed gentlemanly over a pint sort of thing , it'll brew and simmer away until something ugly will happen . Only an observation , not condoning anything at all .

Thing is the auction for example wont be discussed gentlemanly over a pint sort of thing , it'll brew and simmer away until something ugly will happen.

I doubt either would happen. It's more likely that the British buyers would talk, bitch and bicker about it than ever do anything, it's what we do best.