Bleeding canker cure

David Humphries

Just read in Hort week, that an Arb Consultancy up in Yorkshire is trademarking a (Natural) product which they are hopeful of curing bleeding canker in Horse Chestnut with.

It's invasive, as it takes out plugs of bark then an infusion is added.

Trialing it with EH and a few other high profile sites.

Worth keeing an eye on this one.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had something in the pipeline for months, not a cure more a slowing of the canker, cure is a big word in my books.

I'd be trialling now , if it wasn't for all the bureaucratic BS you have to go through, you just imagine, when dealing with chemicals!

Edited by Lee Winger

Tell me about it, I used to work for the dark side as the person responsible for product development for trees and vines and Rhone Poulenc Agrochemicals. Anyone that has something that would be deemed a plant protection product has some serious hoops to get through. The first being proving it is actually of benefit. I was a bit concerned about the comments in Hort Week online. There seemed to be a suggestion that they would not have to do this, but this is only allowed if it is not a chemical control, i.e. if it is a physical control like heat of presure. SO if it is not a chemical control then how does somekind of infusion work?

All a bit confusing

Tell me about it,

Anyone that has something that would be deemed a plant protection product has some serious hoops to get through. The first being proving it is actually of benefit. I was a bit concerned about the comments in Hort Week online. There seemed to be a suggestion that they would not have to do this, but this is only allowed if it is not a chemical control, i.e. if it is a physical control like heat of presure. SO if it is not a chemical control then how does somekind of infusion work?

All a bit confusing

Don't really know heaps about the hoops, but I have the impression that there are some sites that get round the licensing for testing theories/products etc...., as they are deemed contained education centres.

This may be hearsay though.

When it comes to testing there is'nt too much of a problem you just need a licence and as you said if you have a restrcuted area or can demonstrate there is little danger to the public that's fine but at some point to sell it as a plant protection product, you need to prove it works and that is not easy You have to show a statistcally significant effect etc, which on trees is a big ask, particularly since some of the effects of the canker are well hidden and there are other mitigating effects like climate and the condition of the trees.

• 3 months later...

So, three months on, a little update...........

Having been 'entertained' by Glynn Percival for an hour, on how the ongoing yearly attack of Cameraria is (as opposed to the current Forestry Commissions view) more than likely going to effect the long term health & strategy of HC, due to among other things reduced seed viability and Psuedomonas ingress, I then heard Jonathon Cockling from JCA sell his product.

In association with colleagues in the Netherlands, they have developed and are using a 'Natural' compound, trade marked as Novex in Neth, & Conquer in the Uk.

It is very basically a byproduct called Allacin, which is derived from crushing ..........Garlic.

Based upon photos of treated & non treated HC's, this not only appears to work on clearing up the cankers, but also has very strong lavacidal properties which work against Cameraria as well.

There is some suggestion that the product is relatively residual, reducing the need for annual return management.

Although JCA are not implying this is a one hit wonder.

The only major downside to the product in my eyes, is the admitted lack of study carried out so far, to assess the impact that Allacin may have on Fungi and more importantly micorrhyza.

Apparantly you can crush a leaf from the upper most crown weeks after the treatment, and it will smell of Garlic.

So, Van Helsing was on to something all along :001_smile:

There is a uk company that markets garlic based washes and drenches for use in organic food production. It is supposed to work well as a winter wash for fruit trees. We have used it on our own small tree seedling nursery against mildew and various pests etc. Last year was the first year we trialled it. results were quite encouraging. Here is a link.

Welcome to Aston Horticulture's website producers of garlic based horticultural spray products