splicing for beginners

atree

To my mind the area where its best to stitch and whip the splice is right up by the throat of the splice because:

• Thats where the splice begins

As the splice is used and settles it may shift slightly as the fibres are run home throughly during use

• The rope has had less human interaction to the braid at the throat of teh splice, if you stitch it where the rope begins to taper there are less strands of the rope to help bind the stitching

How to make the throat easier to stitch.

• Bend it baby, bend the splice lots every way, massage it some more and bend bend bend

• Take a rubber mallet and pummel it on a non abrasive surface

• Get some sail makers needles and a sailmakers palm and some pliers

Sailmakers needle, notice the beefy eye and the slightly fatter nose they have. once the nose of teh needle is through they slide through pretty easily. sewing needles really ain't up to it. i've only broken one in 4 years of abuse. sewing needles i was breaking a fair few.

needle.jpg

A sail makers palm allows you to push the needle through, you wear it on your hand (they come in lefts and rights) they help a lot for tight throats

palm.jpg

My essentials, i've not put up a picture of some pliers as i'm sure you have all seen 'em before, i've missed out whipping twine, i use marlow no. 4

essentials.jpg

In all of that i'm assuming everyone knows why we stitch braided rope bury splices, just to make sure here is a very brief over view. A splice will hold under heavy load, the stitching is to prevent any slipping under low loads. more slippery rope fibers (often called class 2) have buries twice the length of standard splices as the fibers will pass over each other easier and a low load to those rope types may be a very substantial weight.

Any more ideas?

Jamie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl, my blaze splice in that pic was from years ago, I gave up trying at the throat and whiplocked it there, it's used as a slack line tensioner now. When i've spliced blaze recently it's been a throat whiplock.

Oh and make sure your frapping turns don't cross and twist. doubt there is much structural concern but it looks better and shows attention to detail.

Jamie