Stacking Arb bags of logs

Alycidon

How do you achieve a level base to put the next course on. I try and level the base course and even place a pallet first to put the bag on. Usually the pallet breaks as the logs underneath are only giving point contact.

I have seen pics on the bag suppliers sites where bags are stacked three high. I stack mine without pallets between the layers, one bag straight on top of another maximum one course on top but air flow must be reduced.

Would like to be able to go higher but cant see how to safely achieve without laying out three rows on the floor, two on the next course and one on the top course. I can see the wisdom as the lower course stop the upper ones from falling forward.

So how do you stack yours?.

A

Hi A

Ive got away with stacking 2 high with a pallet in between but the top one always seems to be balancing which is no good to anybody.

I look with envy when I see pics on this forum of well stacked bags and how perfect they have them loaded on top of one another.

I'm sure there's someone that will come forward with the answer or secret!

Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure that you are shaking the bags well when you fill them. Done well they are a solid cube with straight edges & stack neatly. Just holding the bags open under fills them by 20-25% & when stacked the look terrible.

I fill to overflowing, bounce the bag with a teleporter a few times, refill, bounce again and sometimes still need a few more to top off. Bags look ok, its just that pallets ontop of the first course either tilt one way or the other or break up due to the weight being on a few points only.

A

Make sure that you are shaking the bags well when you fill them. Done well they are a solid cube with straight edges & stack neatly. Just holding the bags open under fills them by 20-25% & when stacked the look terrible.

I hold my bags open on a frame on the foreloader when I fill them,but reckon as the sides bulge out I must be giving more than a cube!

Still can't stack them for toffee though!

The best test to see if they are really full is after they have sat seasoning for a year stick one bag on your trailer & go for a drive. If it moves or settles then its under filled.

I still dont think that bulging side actually give more volume. The material cant stretch so any bulge will shorten the length in another direction. Push the centre out & the corners pull in.

Fair point - I had assumed that the material was stretching,but if not the volume stays the same I guess.

I was thinking about filling the bags within a wooden metre cube frame,just to keep the loads consistent if nothing else,I always say they are loose filled

When I have enough ply I cover the filled bags with a sheet of 8x4 over two bags and stack on top of this,which gives me better results then bag on bag!

I hold my bags open on a frame on the foreloader when I fill them,but reckon as the sides bulge out I must be giving more than a cube!

The sides dont stretch though, well mine dont, or dont seem to anyway. So while they bulge they will loose a bit in height I think.

A

The best test to see if they are really full is after they have sat seasoning for a year stick one bag on your trailer & go for a drive. If it moves or settles then its under filled.

They always move in transport and I have taken out bags of soft filled 2 years before, its a bulk load basically. As such as waste of time strapping them down.

Plywood sheets might be a good idea, will give it a try, thanks.

A