?? This Oak needs your help ??

John Hancock

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fb's look old and past best for immediate id, I think it could be Grifola frondosa.

The crown looks healthy although best to asses in full leaf, the problem probably started when said housing development was done. A new path has been laid in proximity to the tree and one would guess all ground nearby was disturbed thus damaging the roots. Whatever works need to be done then send bill to developers!!! The problem is underground and not in the above ground part of the oak says I. Get a root survey/ condition done on tree and go from there.

A lovely oak tree however. Be a shame to lose it or reshape it.

Dave

TPO..? Amenity value assessed? Targets?

"Be a shame to lose it or reshape it...." My sentiments exactly.

Yes, It’ll be TPO’d, part of a group when the development went up.

Amenity value – To me its high, but there are other Oaks of similar age and size close-by so the Helliwell score might be lower than it should.

Targets – must be considered high, both people and property are potentially at risk.

Looks to me like Grifola Frondosa, a white rot common on Oak...highly unlikely to be Meripilus on an Oak...

With regards to the size and amount of fruiting bodies, this often reflects the amount of energy the fungus has, therefore suggesting a larger area of decayed wood, as this is where it gains its energy. You can often see small brackets/bodies in the first few years, progressively growing in size, then it may get smaller, as there is less wood to degrade/decay.

For future reference:

Meripilus shares similar habit and form to Grifola, which can lead to a confusing diagnosis. Two key features however are that the white underside of an individual fond on Grifola will not bruise black, whereas Meripilus will. Also the colour of the FB is different (when fresh is easily identifiable) Grifola is a light grey/brown whereas Meripilus is a tan/yellow-orange.

Hope this helps...As to remedial works, i wouldn't suggest a heavy reduction or pollard, perhaps monitor the tree and check for any progressing signs of ill-health/stree i.e. an abundance of epicormic growth, reduced annual extension growth, induced foliage etc. If the trees health begins to decline then i would suggest a sympathetic reduction over a period of time (simialr to retrenchment pruning), along with a crown thin to reduce the sail weight.

The Fb's look old and past best for immediate id, I think it could be Grifola frondosa.

Dave

If it is Hen of the woods, then this could be good news for the Tree, as this is well known to be a deep (dysfunctional wood) root decayer, and as such poses a far significantly reduced risk of potential failure.

However, although the fb's are pretty desicated, It doesn't look like Grifola to me.

Dryadeus ?

Have you used the Tomograph on it yet John ?

If you do find decay to cause you reason to remove or reduce, then a staged retrenchment to Nev Fayes model, is how I wood tackle it.

http://www.treeworks.co.uk/downloads/13%20-%20Guidance%20Diagramme.pdf

" Helliwell score might be lower than it should. "

So you havent used it ? It is a system and can give some broad ranging results .....

" Targets – must be considered high, both people and property are potentially at risk."

This is a bit woolly.....but further believe you should be target lead in your assessment. Suggest a quantified assessment....QTRA

" , i wouldn't suggest a heavy reduction or pollard, perhaps monitor the tree and check for any progressing signs of ill-health/stree i.e. an abundance of epicormic growth, reduced annual extension growth, induced foliage etc...."

Personally liking this suggestion quite alot!

Edited by Bundle 2