Which arbtalkers climb on a lockjack?

will.morris

Absolutely loved it in the first tree today what a great system, has made the lj so user friendly but quick when you want it to be.

Drew - Thats the most scared I've ever been up a tree today, I'm not a fan of gums just yet even the medium sized ones, was proper freaked out hence I wouldn't even speak back when you guys were trying to talk to me :lol:

Glad I got up it though, have to push yourself to get better and honestly today I was borderline just totally freezing. ...I'm not always like that though I swear haha!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely loved it in the first tree today what a great system, has made the lj so user friendly but quick when you want it to be.

Drew - Thats the most scared I've ever been up a tree today, I'm not a fan of gums just yet even the medium sized ones, was proper freaked out hence I wouldn't even speak back when you guys were trying to talk to me :lol:

Glad I got up it though, have to push yourself to get better and honestly today I was borderline just totally freezing. ...I'm not always like that though I swear haha!

Good on you Will for being so candid about your fear.

It takes a very brave man to be open on this subject. Most guys believe bravado will keep them safe.

I believe that recognising your limits and knowing how far to stretch yourself on a given day is the skill that will enable you to grow as a person and a practitioner.

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Haha cheers dude! No point in trying to blag it, there will always be a time when your in the spotlight whether it be at a comp, working with someone thats seen you brag or even just meeting new people rec climbing. Gums are very alien to me at the moment, was totally comfortable in the huge redwoods we climbed but have found that big gums are a different ball game.

Our srt line was about 40m high about 2m out from the stem and not a single branch on the side we went up until you reached the top of the srt line to change onto drt. It was definately the exposure that frightened me rather than just the height, it was a new sort of climbing experience for me and in all honesty it freaked me out big time.

We've got a cool little group at the moment of 6/7 people and we're doing weekend trips to climb the well known big trees in nz as a way of seeing a bit more of the country and of course push our climbing. Some of the guys I'm climbing with have 10/15years experience but 2.5 monthes ago the biggest tree I'd climbed was about 80ft ... our next gum planned is 85 METRES so its a massive massive challenge of nerve for me but I feel privileged to be out with these guys and climb these giants in a fantastic country. Ideally I wish I had another 5yrs experience before I was doing this but it could be an opportunity I'll not get again for a very long time if at all, thats what makes me fight the elvis leg, get some real stories to tell later in life, actually get out there and do something that is pretty special and not be afraid to tell the story as it is, which included being scared pooless :lol:

Life is a ride and right now I'm holding on tight :thumbup: