Government funding madness!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

I will never understand the stance of people like you Tony :confused1:

You think its fine for some people to just take from the system, but are resentful of people who work hard generate income and do their best to hold on to as much of the income they have generated

I have a simple rule in life, I ask myself "how would things be if every one did as I am doing"

If every one was on benefits we would be finished, if every one worked hard but paid as little tax as they could, we would in great shape as a country.

in that I could not agree more, :thumbup:

and by the way, income tax is one tax, it is not the revenues total

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. It's time the FC stood on its own two feet as any other business has to. The government has subsidised it for far too long. We are no longer dependent on forestry to build ships, to make pit props for coal excavation, or for trench boards. These traditionally were the reasons why the trees were replanted after each war. For example the returning troops from the War of Independence would be commissioned to plant up woodland of oak etc, hence the proliferation st that time of woods called "America Woods".

This is a very small island, a population of 60+million needs more than just trees, it needs space, it needs food, it needs gravel extraction.

Im so glad im moving out!:lol:

Taking the pheasant shoot as an example. One of the woodlands I help manage is directly done in order to hold the shoots. These shoots are £1000+ per man per shoot. This pays for a keeper, the woods to be managed, the birds, the bird feeding and rearing, it pays for the majority of the land that's involved around the hall. Most of the pastures were beef herd until recently, that no longer pays, most of the farmland is arable, which has been pretty poor this year, but the wealth generated from the shoots has managed the woods far beyond what the timbers are worth. Without these shoots, what would become of the woods? In this example they would be left to decline, as they did under the previous ownership (the Hall was a hotel then) and the woods were literally raped of any good timber by a less than scrupulous fellow for firewood. Woods, and forests, need to be run as business these days, whether its for shoots, for sports, or for production, the country cannot keep throwing huge lucrative subsidies at an old top heavy industry that no longer pays its way.

well the woodlands around me are not in good order.

i am not against the shoots because it brings a lot of revenue to the area.

i was just making a point about the rich gettng the money from the FC.

but on the point of well managed woodlands... there is one chap who is getting the most out of his woodland. he owns friken loads of land round me. he has a pheasant shoot. sells logs and kindling (vans going out all day every day) and has a down hill mountain bike track down through it. that is a good example.

on the other hand.. a big land owner who has a couple of large shoots. does absolutely nothing in terms of woodland management. the opposite of my first example.

Yes that was more my point. Woodlands and forests have to be worked, one way or another, they are not something that the FC should just be given mega bucks for. We all pay taxes, we need to see where it goes, and how it's spent, and I mean spent, not wasted. Well-managed, careful budgeting shoukd allow for the handout to the FC to carry on doing what it needs to do, but doesn't leave a lot over to be squandered away on some fat cats expenses. The rest should be possible on clever management of resources. I hope. :001_smile:

And learn to read before jumping in, I stated that there should be enough money to do what the FC needs to do, the rest should come from careful management. After all, the FC had a headstart on this, has the experience from Denmark and other to draw upon, as well as all their scientists already working on it. How much more can be thrown into the pot to combat the inevitability of the decline? It's not a bottomless pot of cash.

Public sector waste ...where to start.

How about generations of school teachers and police officers blagging early pensions on the sick...and the last two tree officers in Cheshire took early retirement. The last one was younger than me and we'll be paying his pension for the next 40 years....way longer than he worked.

The government will pick easy targets and not the real problem which is our massively wasteful and piss taking public sector...half the working population by the way.

I totally agree, and eliminate this leech on society and there will be enough money to go where it is needed. I was speaking to a senior police officer (from an outside force)the other day and he is responsible to sort out those on "light duties" until they retire. They absorb so much money that should be spent on policing our communities.

After all, the FC had a headstart on this, has the experience from Denmark and other to draw upon, as well as all their scientists already working on it. How much more can be thrown into the pot to combat the inevitability of the decline? It's not a bottomless pot of cash

do u know many Qualified tree botanists working in their field there are in the UK to help with this outbreak