Towing trailers and the law.

Coletti

I personally find this law heighly frustrating as I have 8 years experience with big trailers behind tractors yet still cannot tow anything of importance behind a car/truck, another thing that ticks me off is that someone of 17 years old can pass his driving test and is automatically given the licence to go and drive a tractor with huge trailer with no experience what so ever and if I'm not mistaken, that means he can drive the legal limit of 26t gtw with tractor and trailer

Your not the only one. In my good old trucking days, used to get past regulary on the a17 towards Kings Lynn by young lads in there tweeked up jcb fast track c/w artic trailer and bogey.

Had to be 21 to get HGV licence and some of those lads in the JCB i dought were old enough to vote. So surprised there wasnt more carnage.

I personally find this law heighly frustrating as I have 8 years experience with big trailers behind tractors yet still cannot tow anything of importance behind a car/truck, another thing that ticks me off is that someone of 17 years old can pass his driving test and is automatically given the licence to go and drive a tractor with huge trailer with no experience what so ever and if I'm not mistaken, that means he can drive the legal limit of 26t gtw with tractor and trailer

Winds me up too mate. Especially since smaller trailers are harder to back with than large ones. Always thought it was a ridiculous law.

I'll be honest if I'm not going on any main roads then I do drive with bigger than 750kg trailers on the back and I'm sure there are plenty of other people that do too.

Don't know what all the fuss is about, if you don't like the law on trailers, become a builder. I live near a builders supplies, and the trailers that go in there beggar belief build wise, they are death traps. Then they are filled to just about spilling point with ballast or whatever, and towed behind a crappy truck that's falling apart with rust. They don't worry about weight, towing ability or road worthiness, they get on with earning their living. The chance of them getting pulled is minimal. So easy answer is change trades. :001_smile: